More air

Peter, are you using a clutch cover?

Jay fabbed up something to go between bar nuts and bar, instead of the side cover. Coulda been a stack of washers.

Dropped more sawdust.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was considering that, Sean. I can fab a spacer out of aluminum. I think the housing will still suck up dust. The point I'm trying to make is I want to be lazy and not have to clean up saw dust..... :D

That would be a tall order for me at the moment. I'd have to do testing, make sure it works. Are you in a rush?

Nope. I’m in no hurry. It’s just a thought that gets in my head occasionally. Prolly just use it to cut slabs for the wife to do crafts with.

This situation I was thinking about, instead of stopping and clearing the dust, finish the cut without having the filter plugged up. Not a huge issue, just one I'd like not to worry about...

20180612_105057.jpg

Though it was long time ago I do remember in the mill we had a large dust collection system ... Also a large compressed air system which mostly ran tools but there were a couple places we used the air to keep the cuts clear.

If you have 20" or 48" it is same thing. You still need to pay attention and not run it hot. If you do, bar is of little or no importance.

I do have a 115v 1/3hp blower, I was thinking I could weld up a dolly with hoses etc etc. But it would be.only good for residential milling, about 50% of what I do at the moment. It would take up some space in the f150.

Stupid question, from someone who literally knows nothing about milling at all, but at what point do you just hook it up to a 25 hp mower engine? You could still use a chainsaw cutting style mill, just run it with more power and easier to filter the air... just curious why not...

These are made. Also bigger with up to 600hp diesels.
But they are a bit pricey and more complicated to move around.
There is a guy that has a portable mill built on his Scania log truck here. He run it with a separate (smaller) scania engine.
On log truck he run it from crane. Seen it run on Elmia Wood once.

I think point with saws is to use what we have and make the best of it.
Running them hot is often more operator error than its a faulty design on saw.
They are run too hard so rpm go under the max output and get overloaded at the same time rpm on fan get lowered.
Thats were the blower idea comes in I guess.
It won't help as saw get damage from overload anyway. It gets hotter faster than heat can travel in cooling fins.
Better is to learn how to run it correct.

Stupid question, from someone who literally knows nothing about milling at all, but at what point do you just hook it up to a 25 hp mower engine? You could still use a chainsaw cutting style mill, just run it with more power and easier to filter the air... just curious why not...

..... Money...........

;)

I got my 088 for $1400.

Some of the backyards only have a small gate. What I have now is my test bed, see how it produces. It's working good, and I am always solo. I am in the process of making a bandsaw mill, but in my area not many people have logs and can woodwork. Now....if I cooked meth......

Back