Champion Trees

I'm torn on this. I quit logging the coast because of some of the practices I saw and was a part of. But then I moved back to the interior and continued to log with a small highlead outfit. Smaller blocks, owners that were workers, we still logged for the big mills obviously. But somehow it seemed 'better'.

Great thread and posts everyone.

Were you raping and pillaging with the small highland outfits too?

Sure I guess. I've seen lots of reforestation and plenty of second growth forests. Tree planting and silviculture is a huge industry in bc. I've also seen massive landslides, and large tracts that have been neglected too. I have no doubts that big business doesn't have the health of the forest top of mind. I worked mostly all isolated fly in or boat in only camps where the logs were often loaded on ships and headed overseas. It saddens me more to think of how other areas of the world have handled things. When a developed nation like Canada has people tossing empty five gallon pails off the steepest bank they can find rather than barging them out. Makes you wonder how it's gone in South America or elsewhere? I have my doubts it's any better in any natural resource based business. And let's not split hairs, resource consumption is what makes the world go round.

When a developed nation like Canada has people tossing empty five gallon pails off the steepest bank they can find rather than barging them out. Makes you wonder how it's gone in South America or elsewhere?

Big time.

Well, I don't really want to argue with my friends here about the subject. We all make valid points and though we might disagree on who is well informed and who is not, we are entitled to our opinions.

But one final word I would like to have, and I ask that those who find my position at odds with theirs to please consider...human beings seem to be very ego-centric when it comes to appreciation of time scales as it relates to forest ecosystems. We tend to think in terms of a few dozen generations of our species as being a very long time, almost forever. So...

If you think that after clearcuts that a fully functioning ecosystem can never return, please explain to me how the PNW came to look like it did 10,000 years ago, after 30,000 years of Ice Age glaciation scuffed most of the land clear of any vegetative growth at all.

It can and will grow back.

I was under the impression that there was nothing wrong with a mosaic type landscape?

I am not so sure that there were huge, continuous-homogeneous landscapes back in the day.

At least not until we came along to try to "Manage" things.

Well, I don't really want to argue with my friends here about the subject. We all make valid points and though we might disagree on who is well informed and who is not, we are entitled to our opinions.

But one final word I would like to have, and I ask that those who find my position at odds with theirs to please consider...human beings seem to be very ego-centric when it comes to appreciation of time scales as it relates to forest ecosystems. We tend to think in terms of a few dozen generations of our species as being a very long time, almost forever. So...

theres 2 ways of looking at that Burnham. Is it not more egocentric of the current generation, at this moment in time, to assume the right to remove thousand year old live forrest, denying the next 10 generations of people and wildlife inhabitants to witness, appreciate or live off ?....and what's more the cutting down only to generate temporary wealth that will be spent within the current generations lifespan ?

But where would/does that logic end Reg? we're burning up dinosaur bones at an alarming rate too. Mining, polluting water, etc,etc. You name it we are basically consuming it and screwing it up all for the sake of income and comforts and convenience. It seems deforestation is but one facet of mans worldwide insatiable appetite for resource consumption.

So what can be done? I made good money logging, it was a good job. I'm sure those doing it right now feel the same way.

Quite a telling Insite into the ethics and motivation of McMillan Boedel, in their attempt and tactics to log Carmanah Walbran. Their argument that the area could be logged, simply because they were logging similar sized trees elsewhere in BC speaks volumes.

You have download to open. Its essentially a news article from the day. Takes no time at all to read, but hits the mark

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...WMAR6BAgDEAE&usg=AOvVaw0j1qXHsuCjcaI1SRs43rqz

But where would/does that logic end Reg? we're burning up dinosaur bones at an alarming rate too. Mining, polluting water, etc,etc. You name it we are basically consuming it and screwing it up all for the sake of income and comforts and convenience. It seems deforestation is but one facet of mans worldwide insatiable appetite for resource consumption.

Sorry Justin, i need to head out the house mate

It can and will grow back.

Provided another Weyerhauser doesn't show up in the meantime. You let him have it all for free once, what is to convince me you won't just do it again.

Burnham, I don't understand why you don't want to " argue" about this.

I don't think of it as arguing, I think of it as discussing it.

I love discussing stuff.

If you think my points stem from me being mis informed, by all means say so.
That won't make any dents in our friendship.
I'm fairly well grown up by now, so I can take being told I'm wrong.
Particularly if it is backed up by hard facts.

I realize you've been up against a bunch of shit throwing eco weirdos in your career, but I'm not one of them.
I'm a logger.
Well, a commie logger, but even so, I've killed trees for 4 decades and done my share of clear cuts.

I have some strong opinions about the way your former employer has gone about handling the forests, but if you think I'm wrong and can back it up, tell me.

I may come off as an opinionated SOB, but I actually love to learn stuff.

Cool,with me. We do those a lot.
Clearcutting the whole PNW for fast profit, not so cool with me.

I don't think of it as arguing, I think of it as discussing it. I love discussing stuff.

That's how I feel about religions, but no done dares (except me) discuss that taboo subject.

I think I have proven that it is not taboo to me.
Quite the opposite in fact.

Provided another Weyerhauser doesn't show up in the meantime. You let him have it all for free once, what is to convince me you won't just do it again.

Burnham, I don't understand why you don't want to " argue" about this.

I don't think of it as arguing, I think of it as discussing it.

I love discussing stuff.

If you think my points stem from me being mis informed, by all means say so.
That won't make any dents in our friendship.
I'm fairly well grown up by now, so I can take being told I'm wrong.
Particularly if it is backed up by hard facts.

I realize you've been up against a bunch of shit throwing eco weirdos in your career, but I'm not one of them.
I'm a logger.
Well, a commie logger, but even so, I've killed trees for 4 decades and done my share of clear cuts.

I have some strong opinions about the way your former employer has gone about handling the forests, but if you think I'm wrong and can back it up, tell me.

I may come off as an opinionated SOB, but I actually love to learn stuff.

Its pethaps one of the most relevant topics between anyone whi has an interest in trees, if you ask me. I find it very difficult to muster the enthusiasm to speak of throwlines, pulleys and hitch chords these days. No winners or losers, just perspectives....which includes what you refer to as shit throwi ng eco weirdos, Stig. Just because they have no financial stake or gain doesnt make their stance any less worthy. Without those types thered be a lot less standing old growth, if any left on Vancouver Island at least.

Its pethaps one of the most relevant topics between anyone whi has an interest in trees, if you ask me. I find it very difficult to muster the enthusiasm to speak of throwlines, pulleys and hitch chords these days. No winners or losers, just perspectives....which includes what you refer to as shit throwi ng eco weirdos, Stig. Just because they have no financial stake or gain doesnt make their stance any less worthy. Without those types thered be a lot less standing old growth, if any left on Vancouver Island at least.

You sure as shit haven't read many of my posts concerning this topic, have you?

Or you would know exactly where I stand.