Champion Trees

forestkeepers

Forest Keeper
Largest Pecan in Kansas (208" circumference, 130' tall)
IMG-1271_0.jpg

Beginning in 1940, the American Forests National Big Tree Program has maintained a national catalog of champion trees. There are currently four in Kansas, and six in Missouri. While some trees are on private land, the ones in this list are all publicly accessible and within a couple hours from Kansas City. Here are the top 5; I have ready access to the Lansing and Lawrence trees, and I hope to stop and see the Texas Red Oak soon:

• Texas Red Oak - Topeka, Kansas
    This tree claims the National Champion title for its species, and sits at 189 inches, or 15 feet 9 inches, in circumference and 69 feet tall. Located in Crestview Park, the tree is among eight other Kansas state champions in Topeka.
  • Hortulan Plum - Columbia, Missouri
    Another National Champion, this tree makes its home in the East Port Park. A 37 inch circumference combined with a height of 30 feet makes this the smallest tree on this list. There are a little over half a dozen state champion trees in Boone County, but most of them are concentrated on the University of Missouri campus.
  • Yellow-Poplar Tuliptree - Lansing, Kansas
    Found in the Southwest portion of the Mt. Muncie Cemetery, this state champion is by far the tallest tree on the list. It towers at 113 feet tall, and 191 inches in circumference. Lansing is a short drive away from Leavenworth, which hosts a whopping 70 state champions, including a massive Pecan tree. A vast majority of these trees, including the Pecan, are located on the grounds of Fort Leavenworth and can be challenging to reach.
  • Quaking Aspen - Union Ridge Conservation Area
    For the dedicated arborists and camping-types, this Missouri state champion is a treat. Measuring 37 inches in circumference and 66 feet tall, the Quaking Aspen stands out for its iconic white bark. Union Ridge is a sprawling, 8,262-acre area that features a boat ramp on Union Lake, campgrounds, fishing and hunting. While hiking through the conservation area, prepare to see prairie grasses and wildflowers such as big (and little) bluestems, prairie clovers and leadplants.
  • Rock Elm - Lawrence, Kansas
    The last National Champion on the list, this tree sits on the campus of the University of Kansas. There are twelve other state champions in Lawrence. It clocks in at 51 inches in diameter and 39 feet tall. The Rock Elm, a Midwestern native, accompanies 12 other state champions in Lawrence.
Here's the full map of champions in Kansas. What champions are in your area that you have seen or encountered?

I've climbed all the champion trees of Denmark
All except two have been ninja climbs.

But honestly, after climbing Redwoods and Sequoias, Danish champion trees don't rteally count for much.

That, too.
Sure dwarfs all the oaks in Denmark and then some.
That was a fine day:)

I have a picture of it on the wall in the office, right behind the computer, so no way I can forget that.

Off for Norway in 20 minutes, just time to grab a quick shover.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've climbed all the champion trees of Denmark
All except two have been ninja climbs.
But honestly, after climbing Redwoods and Sequoias, Danish champion trees don't rteally count for much.
I've been meaning to ask you about your avatar photo -- I'm sure there's an explanation somewhere in the forum, but I'm sure it bears telling again!

I believe I have posted a pic of this tree before, but this is reported to be the largest and oldest Western Juniper in the world. The Bennet Tree up Sonora Pass in the Sierras.
IMG_0021.jpg IMG_0005.jpg

Yup, I recall...a crappy little juniper, that one is.
:lol:

I'd really like to see that tree. Magnificent. Is it hard to get to, Erico?

Most of the year its easy to get to, although during the winter it can be pretty tough . A super soulful tree that I always try and hangout with when I'm in the area!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Champion Gingko Biloba

This must be a state champion, if not a national contender -- there are no listings for a Kansas state champion Gingko on the map I have. 4+' diameter trunk, well over 80 years old, just one mile from our place. Far and away the biggest Gingko I've ever seen -- and it's a fruiting female, so it must be pungent when it drops the fruit.
P1310960.jpg P1310961.jpg P1310964.jpg P1310959.jpg