Can you get a liability waiver?

PCTREE

Treehouser
Looked at a really sketchy tree today, big tree with lots of cracking and decay in the base. Tree has moved and is going for neighbors house. Has anyone ever tried to get a waiver to basically say you will do your best but if the stump fails during the removal process it is out of your control?? I am planning to guy the tree with heavy ropes and keep climber on the picks until we feel comfortable but if the shifting of load causes the tree to twist then all bets are off..

Absolutely. I've never had a written one but I've made verbal deals (yeah I'm an idiot who trusts people to keep their word).

All I know is you can't get a liability waiver for yourself.

I guess you don't know or have a lawyer friend? I sure don't, wish I did...

A group here was sending out waivers for clearance work. So yeah. It can be done.
I have had one on a driveway. Fresh new asphalt under a 125' tall 48" DBH pine. Yup, left a hole in it.

truthfully....once you start I think its your baby. bid high. Or walk, and don't bother. Any lawyer will pick apart the waiver.
What are the consequences for the tree failing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the tree fails it goes on neighbors house. Big tree over pool covered patio and house. I should have walked but I indirectly know the customer and have done work for them in the past and know nobody else in town CAN touch it. I hope it goes over tonight as the dude is sleeping at a motel then I can really charge the insurance Co.

Climber will fly the ball and never leave, lotsa small picks, guyed back 3 ropes triangulated to minimize yaw. Only have one climber tomorrow though, lotsa saddle time...

No picks, no rigging, dice it and drop it, or walk.

Climber rides the ball double tied, no tie to the tree.

Pics always help.

Efficiently cut in balance, prevent torsion.

Every rope you got, well up to a point.

Charge enough to be worth it as a business.

Why is the tree failing? Due diligence? Lack of planning... Emergency... And all that.

We saw a truck going down the road the other day with a placard on the back that simply read,
NOT RESPONSIBLE.
We assumed that it was a cut down version of the typical "Not responsible for broken windshields" disclaimer. But we loved the blanket liability disclaimer that covered everything.

can you put cam straps around cracked trunk? kinda like the video of graham?

didn't need no stinking waiver, just a bunch of big iron...

few pics...

IMG_0242 (1).jpg

My wife who really didn't want me taking the job

IMG_0250.jpg

52000# bull line tensioned with the knuckle boom

throw in a few binders, notice how much the crack closed up when we pulled it with the knuckle boom

IMG_0245.jpg

add a couple more guys to reduce likelihood of twisting

IMG_0246.jpg

Back