capturing Maasdam progress with lowering device?

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Howdy, all.

One of the techniques I'm considering for the scarlet oak is the Holding Line/Pull Line tandem, as illustrated in TFAT below.

Jepson talks about the need to 1) tension the holding line while ALSO being able to 2) release it quickly as the tree begins to swing into the lay. He suggests using a Fig8 or a Porty.

I'm initially a bit stumped (a tree pun) on how to set up the puller and the lowering device to achieve this...?

IMG_20180516_143308.jpg

With a good second person and goodly anchored POW ... Use an Ascender and puller to pretension hold line. One or two wraps on , mebbee lock it off till set up the rest. Second guy will feed line once the top is over center and committed to the lay.

I normally have a guy with me. Maasdam pull line and fiddle block compensation line. If I don't have my guy with me I normally redirect the maasdam back to an anchor near me and the fiddle block to my future stump so I can control it all.

I'll make a video as soon as I can of how I do it. I'll post the link here and in the beginner climber thread. Tomorrow I expect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I usually work solo so I'd simplfy it. 2 maasdams pulling. :D

Lord knows, I work alone too, Peter. No one's dumb enough to work with me! :lol:

It's the "quick release of tension" part I can't quite figure out...

With a good second person and goodly anchored POW ... Use an Ascender and puller to pretension hold line. One or two wraps on , mebbee lock it off till set up the rest. Second guy will feed line once the top is over center and committed to the lay.

So it sounds like I need three anchors? 1. for the Maasdam, 2. for a prusik/ascender or other Progress Capturing Device, 3. for the POW?

In terms of "order of operation": Use Maasdam, capture progress. Detach/remove Maasdam, leaving tension on the prusik. Wrap line on Porty?

I don't really understand what you're after.

If you need to tension with the Maasdam, then clear the maasdam out of the system, I'd attach the maadsam line to the rigging line with a hitch that you'll be able to reach and is releaseable-under-load. A mariner's knot/ hitch maybe.

Thanks, Sean! I don't think I'm being clear, but you are! Something like this maybe:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qvDNIeV0nC4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In terms of "order of operation": Use Maasdam, capture progress. Detach/remove Maasdam, leaving tension on the prusik. Wrap line on Porty?
If you load seriously the prussik, you won't be able to release it at need. The Maasdam can put 800 lbs on it, the prussik will be locked on the guy line.

Try this way :
Tie the prussik on the guy line, put the maasdam's rope on the prussik. Anchor both the Maasdam and the Porty at the same tree with two slings (side by side). Pull and tension the line with the maasdam. Now, wrap tightly the guy line's tail on the porty and secure it. Then, release the load off the maasdam (the Porty takes it now). Remove the maasdam and put it at the second anchor to pull the tree to the lay. The prussik is no longer needed and is easily removed.
When ready, unlock the porty and be ready to let go the rope at the right moment.

PS, the rope of the maasdam is way too stretchy to use it as the actual guy. Always use a bull line to secure the tree. Just tension it by the proper way, the rope puller is a convenient system but not the onliest.

So appreciate all the help, people! Special thanks to Marc-A and Stephen for the step-by-step and visual aid.

Really grateful you're all willing to play "Holding Hands with the Simple Minded" yet again! :lol:

A pretty cool solution may be this little job:
Stein RC3100 Pre-Tension Pulley

Demo'ed here, by one of our own!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zxd8oqnAVLc?start=506" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just buy a regular pulley and hitch cord. That is a purpose-built pulley. Its only going to be useful for pretensioning. You can get a solid 1/2" block for cheap, maybe 5/8" block.

Do you need a guy line on that tree?

Just buy a regular pulley and hitch cord. That is a purpose-built pulley. Its only going to be useful for pretensioning. You can get a solid 1/2" block for cheap, maybe 5/8" block.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Do you need a guy line on that tree?

Yup. It's leaning 90 degrees to where I want it to go!

More HERE.

Back