how the heck are you! and next "bad" tree

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, everybody! Hope all the 'Housers are doing great! It's been WAY too long.

I've successfully completed my annual "Spellfeller Crawls Out From Under His Hiding Rock" ceremony :lol: and am looking forward to taking down the next crispy critter on the property, which is either a Scarlet or Red Oak.

If you have the time and the inclination, I'd love your thoughts about this beast. Unlike last year's crispy maple, I know this wood is a lot stronger--all things being equal--I'm not sure this tree is less rotten though...the void inside seems pretty big.

I'm thinking about the ol' "pull as much off with the Maasdam as you can" approach, but I know some of those monster leaders aren't going to come.

Here's some video from late April. I've got more current stills I'll post too:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bLuB4i-VgLo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey, Jeff! Welcome back! This looks like it will be interesting. I look forward to reading what the veterans on this forum think about whether or not it is safe enough to climb. I'm assuming that there is no room to just fell it, correct?

Thanks for posting. I look forward to seeing any more video that you decide to shoot of this adventure.

Tim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Howdy, Tim!

You're correct on both counts: a) I'm wondering about integrity for climbing and b) no room to fell it without considerable reduction.

Nice to see you back Jeff :)
Looks a bit sketchy to me, have you sounded around the base with a nylon hammer, get a sense of how sound the remaining wood is? Also maybe dig around those roots a bit see if they have any strength left.
And the usual, is there a tree close enough to tie into instead of the dead one?
Take minimum off the top and fell the rest if it won't fit in one.

drill the tree trunk with a 1/4" x 12" bit.

Who's tree?

More decay on the bottom side of roots than the top. Drilling will work there, too.

You'll end up with a stuck rope and possibly weakened tree if you pull like heck. I'd go more surgical.

If you're free falling the pieces, its lots less to think about.

No worries on climbing that tree... that is a LOT of decay at the base, but the tree still has leaves. The top hasn't been dead long and there is enough flare in the base to keep it standing through the last wind storm... red oak extremely strong wood.... Too strong to pull the top out by breaking it.. Just bomb it as much as you can.. I wouldn't worry much even rigging big...

Why use a drill, when a saw will do just as fine.
No need to overcomplicate things.

It depends on what killed it. I'm not sure what kinds of diseases you have in your area but here in Florida hypoxylon canker will deteriorate the integrity of oak wood VERY quickly. If it was a lightning strike, its probably fine to climb as long as there are no huge splits in the wood. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the voles in the bottom but more concerned about the strength of the leaders above that first crotch. Is there room to drop those 3 or 4 major limbs? If not, is there another tree close enough to provide an alternate tie-in point?

Nice to see you back Jeff :)
Looks a bit sketchy to me, have you sounded around the base with a nylon hammer, get a sense of how sound the remaining wood is? Also maybe dig around those roots a bit see if they have any strength left.
And the usual, is there a tree close enough to tie into instead of the dead one?
Take minimum off the top and fell the rest if it won't fit in one.

Thanks, Fi! I will give the roots a closer look see. This tree is pretty much the big kahuna on that part of the property, so I don't think I have much in the way of alternative tie ins...

drill the tree trunk with a 1/4" x 12" bit.

Why use a drill, when a saw will do just as fine.
No need to overcomplicate things.

Either way, I'll see if I can take some "core samples"!

Who's tree?

Mine, Sean. Seems all the dangerous ones are mine! :(

You'll end up with a stuck rope and possibly weakened tree if you pull like heck. I'd go more surgical.

Funny you say that! Take a close look at some of the pix to follow! :|:

Still has leaf on it. I?d climb it without any issues.

No worries on climbing that tree... that is a LOT of decay at the base, but the tree still has leaves. The top hasn't been dead long and there is enough flare in the base to keep it standing through the last wind storm... red oak extremely strong wood.... Too strong to pull the top out by breaking it.. Just bomb it as much as you can.. I wouldn't worry much even rigging big...

Alas, I wasn't clear WHICH April...the video was shot almost a year ago. I'll post pix soon taken from last week. Things have NOT improved. (Surprise!)

Back from walkabout!!! :beer:

Thanks, Butch!

It depends on what killed it. I'm not sure what kinds of diseases you have in your area but here in Florida hypoxylon canker will deteriorate the integrity of oak wood VERY quickly.

Hmm. Very interesting, Mellow. Thanks.

latest photos

Here are some current pictures of the patient--almost a year after the video. Large for detail! :lol:

Note the stuck pull line :|: (and a throw line that's been set to retrieve it.)

Given the total lack of leaves now--and greater bark loss--any change in assessment?

------------------------------

Canopy

i-cRrLfMv-X3.jpg

i-HLKcRFx-X3.jpg

i-5XX3MgF-X3.jpg

Lower bark loss (The lowest of which, I peeled off as a test.)

i-n283KKL-X3.jpg

i-WJP3k9h-X3.jpg

i-2NFGmpS-X3.jpg

Stand on the main trunk and make three quick snap cuts, letting the pieces torpedo straight down. Wear your hardhat! Collateral damage is the cost of waiting so long to address this hazard.

Even without leaves there are plenty of small branches still left, showing the tree hasn't been dead for too.long..

Peeling bark here and there in an oak isn't a big deal... Tree is safe to climb!

Thanks, Mellow. Any diagrams of what you mean by "snap cut"? It seems folks interpret that to mean different things...

Do you mean undercut 1/3rd, then downcut slightly butt/tree side?

Back