Lombardy take down

Last time I checked, the top of an Aircraft carrier is flat, with an open line of sight, unlike being at the top of the tree.

Trees are bigger up in Reg's area.

Good coordination for a pull/ winch can help.

People can keep their comms off for 99% of the day. Personal/ boss' choice.

How many accidents and injuries could be avoided if you could have clear communication established, when needed, with a 1-second delay to 'actively connect' and talk?

People used to live without anti-lock brakes, of even seatbelts.

Just because that how its been done in the past, doesn't mean it has to stay that way, like the misery whip. Use a tool when you want, how you want.

Maybe you need that Samuel L. Jackson wallet from pulp fiction...its the one that says BAD MOTHERF*&^^R.

Just a reminder in the morning, when you put it into your pocket. You don't need to flash it all over. Just a reminder you're a BMF, beyond the skills of most of the crowd.

Open line of sight?

Aircraft kinda get in the way during a launch.

Trust me. :drink:

If you NEED a helmet comm to do the job, then I don't know what to tell you.

So now because Reg doesn't like them SENAs are dog shit.

Obviously I don't NEED a chainsaw or a 5/8" bull rope to do tree work. Don't need a chipper or truck, either.

My guess is that when visually signalling each other you can see each other. Is this correct? Is telepathy used in conjunction with visual signals, or do you use visual signals when there is a clear line of sight?

How did you like using them for tree work in big trees? For some reason, a lot of people think they are useful.

My old boss at Parks almost lost his leg after I left because of the safety issues, because of an accident/ bad judgment when someone decided to pull the pull rope out of the brush with the hydraulic winch that just pulled over the tree. My old boss just barely got the operator to stop pulling in time, before it tightened around his leg. I don't know the details, but I'm sure that better jobsite communication would have been safer.

SENAs are dog shit.

Who said that?

XtMZG2s.gif

I'm still working on the telepathy part...

I think Sean is right...if Reg says "no bullshit on comms" then that's it. Reg has a smoldering, I ain't gonna take no BS look and demeanor from what I see that says he don't brook no BS if he don't want it. Big lumbering strong guys don't scare me near as much as small strong guys with mad movement skills, a quiet smile and "read my lips" attitude...Reg.

Sean is right...you can do treework without chainsaws or chippers...or ropes...they do in Asia...crazy guys. They die a lot, too.

I've only had Sena's a few months...one of the best tools I own. Alex and I don't BS, just do the work, collaborate on angles, pulls, porty wraps, limb weights, order of cuts, "I'll be busy re-setting my climbing line, go ahead and chip some now"...really makes for smoother ops and less stress. Hollering works...and it sucks.

Until someone really uses them for treework I don't think they get it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tim, I used 2 separate lines through the job. 14 and 16mm. More significant is that I moved the rigging point way down into thicker, stronger wood when it came tithe heavy stuff. Negative rigging with 2 lines is really when you have to stop big logs abruptly....perhaps low down where there isn't the room to let it run.

Cory/ Sean, there really wasn't a more efficient way to get that tree down and processed....short of bringing in more machine and manpower. The rigging is was not just for minimum impact, but to deliver the maximum size limbs that the boys could deal with to the side where we had the chipper set up. Had I instead chosen to trash the place by free cutting, there I'd have had to climb further, cut smaller and have a a ton a raking at the end through 3 separate yards. So it's much the same reason to use rigging that your favor a crane on certain jobs. So in this situation at least, there was only ever gping to be one strategy.

I've used radios for forestry work....where you have to radio check every 30 mins. Crane at times too. Climbing over 200ft is another. Aside from those situations....there really isn't much to say. So long as the guys have experience can see with there own eyes what I'm about to do next, we really don't say much. In the same context I often get asked why I don't have a wraptor ? It's because I dont need one. I don't feel a level of discomfort, struggle or loss of time that justifies the cost. Maybe when In get to 55-60, who knows. I might buy a mini loader this year, because I can see opportunity to make money off it. I don't see that with coms. There's a difference.

Go with the mini... all that big wood you guys deal with in tight areas.. its a no-brainer.... Save your back and the energy needed to get up and do it all over again tomorrow.. Definitely needed if you're trying to compete in a tough market..

It's one of those tools, after a couple days, you'll be asking yourself what took me so long !!!

I wouldn't do much tree work without a loader these days... While I can do big trees without the com system, I usually regret not bringing it when I think "I don;t need it today"... I personally love them, makes the work smoother and after a good day i'll be smiling for a week thinking about some of the jokes drifting out to space.

A guy I sub for has hired his cousin who is deaf so sign language is on the menu and comms are out. I like the idea of comms but I have managed to work all these years without.

watch the movies of guys with ax and 2 man saws... they managed to get through without a chainsaw. Guys that managed to burn brush before chippers got by too.. So did the guys that climbed on manila rope. Helmet coms are a game changer...

watch the movies of guys with ax and 2 man saws... they managed to get through without a chainsaw. Guys that managed to burn brush before chippers got by too.. So did the guys that climbed on manila rope. Helmet coms are a game changer...

To me, they're a luxury Dan. They don't make you a better climber, faller, or increase your ability to move stuff. They wouldn't have sped up the job in the video any.

I have a friend who is a deaf and works in trees. He is working on a comm system that just vibrates. You push a button and it vibrates your teams helmets. It is just a means of getting someones attention akin to yelling headache or hey stop dragging brush look at me I need a rope or a drink of water. I like the idea. Its called VIBE. We couldn't keep up with the helmet comms. everyone who is on sight needs to be wearing one or its a liability. The one guy without one has no clue whats going on. somebodies was always acting up or not charged or fallen off. I kind of stopped bothering with them.

They are great for listening to music. When I was rocking the SENAs, I was pruning a large silver maple in the backyard totally in the zone with my bluetooth jamming to music when I cut the shit out of myself with my Silky. I probably would not have cut myself if I wasn't listening to music. But because I had my SENAs on I was able to get the guys out front who were chipping to stop chipping and get the first aid kit and help me out. The SENAs were literally a double edged sword in that situation.

... zone with my bluetooth jamming to music when I cut the shit out of myself with my Silky...

And what have we learned here children?#-o Tree work is dangerous and requires thought and concentration. The Sena coms are a tool, a really good tool that I am thankful to have, but just a tool that can be misused as easily as any.

I don't think listening to music while you trim is unsafe. I've cut myself while NOT listening to tunes.

There are too many variables to make a blanket statement one way or the other. What can be said though is that if you lose focus on what you are doing, even for a moment, bad things can happen.

A big difference on your team, Reg, is you're bringing in subs who have enough experience to have their own company. Never a new guy.

I find that obstructed views are very common when doing tree care. Removals, much less so. I wish I didn't have to worry about someone walking under when they shouldn't.

I'm curious how that works out logistically. Do you just schedule jobs with subs a little bit out, based on connecting with the guys you need?

I think a mini would kill it, for your type of work and ability to harness machine-power. Your mini and chipper will destroy brush.

They are great for listening to music. When I was rocking the SENAs, I was pruning a large silver maple in the backyard totally in the zone with my bluetooth jamming to music when I cut the shit out of myself with my Silky. I probably would not have cut myself if I wasn't listening to music. But because I had my SENAs on I was able to get the guys out front who were chipping to stop chipping and get the first aid kit and help me out. The SENAs were literally a double edged sword in that situation.

My friend died three times (heart stopped) as a complication of stepping a small hole and falling against the truck, breaking ribs, and resulting in a month of undetected internal bleeding. Smallll hole. Focusing on work, even when on the ground, is important.

A big difference on your team, Reg, is you're bringing in subs who have enough experience to have their own company. Never a new guy.

I find that obstructed views are very common when doing tree care. Removals, much less so. I wish I didn't have to worry about someone walking under when they shouldn't.

I'm curious how that works out logistically. Do you just schedule jobs with subs a little bit out, based on connecting with the guys you need?

I think a mini would kill it, for your type of work and ability to harness machine-power. Your mini and chipper will destroy brush.

Correct Sean. Both those guys in the video are Contract climbers. Although Jared, the big guy, is in the process of buying a chipper to start his own full Tree Service. I will schedule such jobs around their availability.

Yeah Kevin I'm in on the Vibe development, back when they did a crowdfund, hopefully it will come to market soon. I have a deaf nephew so I think it's a great idea.

Back