Lombardy take down

Depends on who's on the other end... its fun to crack jokes and so much better than yelling when it comes to changing the work plan mid-day..
One of our guys left his helmet in the crane truck offsite; he was running the winch yesterday, so needed to be in communication with the climber to know when to pull. So I gave up my helmet and just wore headphones for the day yesterday. The jibber jabber-free afternoon was a blessed relief in some ways and heightened my alertness to be more watchful of what was going on at all times. But I did miss out on the fellowship & comradery, joke cracking, etc. So it was a mixed bag. I could do without it, but it does disconnect you from being such a tight knit unit and able to respond to the climber's needs more quickly (gas, other saw, another block).

@Reg; a beginner's question about the rigging. How do you decide on the size of the rope needed for the various pieces, and when you might need to use two different ropes to handle one larger piece of wood? In this video you never used more than one rope on a single piece of wood, did you? If you did not, what was the size of the rope that was used to handle the biggest chunks? Thanks for your patience with me.

Tim

Tim, I used 2 separate lines through the job. 14 and 16mm. More significant is that I moved the rigging point way down into thicker, stronger wood when it came to the heavy stuff. Negative rigging with 2 lines is really when you have to stop big logs abruptly....perhaps low down where there isn't the room to let it run.

Thanks for taking the time to give this answer, Reg. Much appreciated.

Tim

Back