Lombardy take down

RegC

TreeHouser
A big one from this week

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kCpgiCK7slc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice vid, I have always found them to be a pleasant tree to dismantle, branches tip over in slow mo, making rigging smooth, chippers munch ?em up good.

They do get crazy big over there.

Tall tree mate.

I quite like rigging or dismantling them. Unless the have been hideously topped, like most were I worked on around london.

All done and dusted in a day?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all

2 days Rich. Alot of mass to rig down down, chip and split. Riddled with nails too, at 30ft, old tree house. I was a bit cheap at $3250. Later found out Davey Tree quoted $8400....which says to me 'We don't want the job'.

Riddled with nails too, at 30ft, old tree house

Nails! Grrrrrrrrrr:X

Great vid, Reg. Been too long! Thanks for posting.

That bowed leader at 3.30, wow awesome action on that piece, great rigging and cutting.

Would have loved to see how the main boom was brought down.

Nice to see you have some young studs on the team.

Reg, your mesh face mask, is it mashed in just from use or do you prefer it that way for some reason? Thanks.

Beautiful work as usual Mr. Reg.
What chest harness are you using? I have finally joined the SRT world, running a rope wrench, a power-cender, and a Haas. I absolutely love it, but I haven't found a chest harness I am crazy about yet.

Next time set up a go pro up on your lowering device. That would be nice to watch. Some of those pieces seem well pretensioned and it would be nice to see somehow both the cut and the piece and the guys operating the device. Really good work. That does sound like it was a bit underbid though. Thats a lot of work over two days and splitting all that by hand.

The visit is just old Cory, Thanks

Rico, it's the swing chest harness. Guy in Barbados. He's a member here.

I don't know why I under bid Kevin. Just happens I suppose. The metal, volume of logs and chips. Yep, wasn't thinking clearly. Still, we scraped though in time.

Davey used to bid pretty low on removals around here too... But that changed a few years ago... I've noticed the bigger companies with multiple crews will hike their prices when they are busy and drop them to keep work in front of their top men when things are slow... Right now things are busy. I just bid $2,000 on a stump today and pretty sure I'll get it as no one else would even try.. Personally I wouldn't rig out big trees for under 1,700/day unless I was desperate for work.

Its gotta sting a bit leaving big $ on the table even if you did make your daily... Good climbers are becoming harder to find around here... A tree like that, taking you two days, Davey might have bid it for 4 days, depending on who is doing the climbing... We are about to get hit by EAB.. I'm guessing prices could double when all the ash start dying ...

Nice work as usual... Real interesting choice of music too... Gave it a dreamy quality... Very creative.. August gets most of the credit for making such impressive flashy videos, but you have done a lot of very original and creative video production over the years... Cheers!

Agree on the SMOOTH operator.

It was interesting on the ascent how your movement produced the sounds in the video...from far below.

Do you run comms? I don't think I saw any on the helmets.

Thanks again

Davey used to bid pretty low on removals around here too... But that changed a few years ago... I've noticed the bigger companies with multiple crews will hike their prices when they are busy and drop them to keep work in front of their top men when things are slow... Right now things are busy. I just bid $2,000 on a stump today and pretty sure I'll get it as no one else would even try.. Personally I wouldn't rig out big trees for under 1,700/day unless I was desperate for work.

Its gotta sting a bit leaving big $ on the table even if you did make your daily... Good climbers are becoming harder to find around here... A tree like that, taking you two days, Davey might have bid it for 4 days, depending on who is doing the climbing... We are about to get hit by EAB.. I'm guessing prices could double when all the ash start dying ...

Nice work as usual... Real interesting choice of music too... Gave it a dreamy quality... Very creative.. August gets most of the credit for making such impressive flashy videos, but you have done a lot of very original and creative video production over the years... Cheers!
This is a fiercely competitive area, Dan. There was actualky another reputable tree guy peering over the gate, waiting in line, as I was with the guy at the initial consultation/estimate.
There's a lot of tree companies for a relatively small city.

In my favor is that there's not too many good hardwood climbers....as opposed to single stemmed conifers. What's against me is that many of them are very good at selling collateral damage....like its absolutely inevitable. Thereafter It's no consolation to me to learn another company trashed someone's cherished garden and surroundings through a removal, resulting in bad feeling all round.....because the tree is now gone regardless, as is the opportunity for me to get the job. So, I have bid with tight margins in mind, or I just won't get the work.

No intercom Gary. I really don't want to hear what anyone has to say for the most part. Nor would I want to invade someone else's head with my voice either, short of something bad happening.

My thoughts on helmet comms too, Reg. I hated hearing all that shit while working offshore, especially the fools who like to jibber-jabber all day.

do-not-want-1.jpg

Awesome work as always Reg. Looks like you had a good crew as well. As for the bid, you win some and you lose some. Might have been shy on the money but the next one can be golden.

What's against me is that many of them are very good at selling collateral damage....like its absolutely inevitable. Thereafter It's no consolation to me to learn another company trashed someone's cherished garden and surroundings through a removal, resulting in bad feeling all round.....because the tree is now gone regardless, as is the opportunity for me to get the job.

If other bidders selling "inevitable" collateral damage is really a regular thing, why not mention that to the prospective customers and tell them they can expect no damage when hiring you vs. others, and also possibly offer a secondary, lesser price which reflects less time spent on the job/collateral damage, for those who feel price trumps all and aren't worried about garden protection etc.

Great post, Daniel! This mirrors my sentiments exactly. Great video, Reg! The perfect length, and loved the sound track. I don't know the artist, I don't think, unless it's Art Garfunkel. It sounds a lot like him to me, but I'd never heard that song before.

@Reg; a beginner's question about the rigging. How do you decide on the size of the rope needed for the various pieces, and when you might need to use two different ropes to handle one larger piece of wood? In this video you never used more than one rope on a single piece of wood, did you? If you did not, what was the size of the rope that was used to handle the biggest chunks? Thanks for your patience with me.

I see that you are still liking the use of the rigging rings. That is a piece of gear I still need to buy and try out. Thanks for your time, and for going to all of the trouble to make and post your videos. Great work!

Tim

You're the boss. If the boss says use the comms for important stuff, same as your voice, it's what it is. If you say they can jibber jabber all day, they will.

What do you do when you can't be heard from the top a tree? Use a phone, scream? You can use the comms with the same frequency.

Reg, have you tried offering crush the garden service, as well as don't hurt a petal service? If you bid both ways and tell them both are possibly and supported by your reputation, then they won't think there is no choice. It will put you head and shoulders above the rest. If they decide to save a $1000 and go the replanting route, you're still in the race. If they only want no damage, you have clearly, confidently told them that a qualified treeworker can do what they want, but there is no free lunch.

I ask people what plants they are having bid to keep, and what they are getting bids to accept as going away or possible collateral damage. I tell them I can do anything that they want and are willing to pay for, and that most people choice a practical route, and don't need to keep every saw chip vacuumed off their lawn, or every tiny twig combed from the lawn.

You and I are in the same climate, mostly. I imagine that your area can have some immaculate gardens, high-end gardens, regular, and open drop zones. The vast majority of folks don't have the skills or experience that you do to make any of those work.

I have to remember that most guys around here can't climb a spreading tree for crap. Spurs and a flipline don't do crap when the leader goes to horizontal.

If you spent your days only doing end-weight reduction, spurless pruning, ornamentals, fruit trees etc, you wouldn't be competing against wrecking crews who can only climb a pole. Wrecking crews can always cut stuff smaller, rather than going big. You can't cheat at more skilled work.

Offering tree care, or at least show the knowledge of tree care, and caring about trees, you will get some work because the other bidders didn't notice and offer spurless pruning of the birch close to the corner that might use a cable and brace, or just show interest in their palwonia/ empress tree that you could recognize out of leaf and bloom.

"Oh that empress must make your garden shine when that blooms. Its looking good and healthy, not needing a thing, really."

"Oh, I see that cedar has a big stem-girdling root that is torniquetting the top of the buttress root. We will prune that off when we come. It would benefit the tree."

Tree wreckers can only compete against tree wreckers. A well-rounded pro can offer things that the rest don't.

What is your approach to sales? Humble is fine in some places. Sometimes you have to show off your skills and experience.

That next guy at the gate might might bawk, or price himself out of it.

If Davey wanted $8K,

He might want $5K, but not be very confident/ experienced at a bigger lombardi.
If you put down $5k, and say... ya hard work, hard job, a walk in the park for our crews' skill set, no worries, and we'll get that girdling root.

Maybe you only need to get 2 out of 3 of those jobs to make the same profit, in 2/3s the time.

Same with putting down big wood. A lot of guys are unable or scared. You probably just think, ya, so the big rope is going to catch the big wood, just like a small rope catches small wood. So what?

Maybe, not...it possibly you don't realize how big a fish (capability, dependability wise) you are. Just because there are a lot of fish swimming, it doesn't mean they can swim in the big current.

I think wrecking spreading trees is fun. A lot of guys are scared.

Bid strong! Especially for the rest of the year, until winter. Its time for people to get work done. Demand is high. Winter storm prep work (oops, meant to do that this summer, bought a new house, etc) comes after more of planned summer work.

$0.02

What do you do when you can't be heard from the top a tree? Use a phone, scream?

That's how I did it... no phone. Climbing has been around a lot longer than helmet coms.

I worked launches on the flight deck of Enterprise - we only used hand signals.

Back