You might be a tree climber if...

Years later, woefully you don't remember people's names,addresses, house color
>>BUT, you remember the trees, and can find the house from there!
Personally i trace lines of force thru ropes, knots and architectures, checking for alignment etc.;constantly making comparative analogies;seek out CoG in many things.
>>On the road i'm constantly aware of the position, speed and physical geometry of the vehicle, then too the geometry of the force of the vehicle as separate consideration within that can overtake truck to make it swerve, slide etc./pull physical vehicle off course; as like a sideLean can pull fall off target.
Constantly thinking of sine/cosine as applies to distances and forces; constant benchmark of 15 degrees deflection (hour hand from noon to 12:30 on clock) gives 25% visible and/or force 'exposure'.
>>kinda considering this a different affliction, but definitely related.

You are seriously considering buying your child a toy chainsaw for their birthday from the saw shop.
And thinking to yourself, "Can I run this through the business? Will it look okay in an audit?"

You've stopped navigating by street names and the likes in a new place....or on vacation....

You just remember everything by the trees... Left here at the jacked up pine...right here at this row of buried Lindens, Good christ, would you look at these trees, Good grief....

And on and on down the road....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You see the same tree by the road for years. You take it down in your head every time you drive by. You almost want to stop and do it anyway cause it looks so easy. Climb up 50 ft. Jump the top out. Cut one more block then it will fall. You drive by one day and its gone. You feel like you just lost a family member.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You associate people by the type of tree they would be.

You brush bar oil on your boots to seal them.

If people ask what you would do if you could fly your first thought is how much cooler climbing trees would be.

Yes on navigating by trees!
And the blank looks on people's faces when you say, you know the road, just down from the massive sequoia at the top of the hill...
And it's the ONLY sequoia for miles and it's RIGHT on the highway, geeze...

You take your children to the park to climb trees.
Somehow a 7,000 lb. climbing line, 2,000 lb. carabiner, 4,000 lb. pulley and Silky hand saw get involved in that simple childish endeavor...
:/:

If you are using a 2000 lb rated climb line, I would rethink your program.
My kids climb on the same rated lines I do. With the same kit, nothing rated below 5400. Teach them proper.

Not sure what I was thinking -- the carabiner was 2,000 lbs. This is the rope. Eyelets spliced on both ends (except now it is 2 ropes :/: ). Tensile strength 7,100. Pulley is stamped "4000 lbs. Safe Working Load".

It's a steel carabiner that we usually use for medium lowering duties, not actually a climbing 'biner. Hard to make out the writing on it, but it looks to have 2012 lbs. as the working load. Definitely heavier duty than this Rock Exotica, which is 50kN, 1011lbs. working:
http://www.sherrilltree.com/tools-hardware/carabiners/rock-exotica-rocksteel-auto-lock-carabiner-50kn
Or should I be linking up TreeStuff? Props to the sponsor and all that! Biner is just about at this level:
65kN, 1/2 tested to 7000 lbs.

It's a steel carabiner that we usually use for medium lowering duties, not actually a climbing 'biner. Hard to make out the writing on it, but it looks to have 2012 lbs. as the working load. Definitely heavier duty than this Rock Exotica, which is 50kN, 1011lbs. working:
http://www.sherrilltree.com/tools-hardware/carabiners/rock-exotica-rocksteel-auto-lock-carabiner-50kn

Working load is not the same as tensile strength. A 50 kn biner would be the strongest link in your system....50kn would also be about 10k pounds....which is higher than any aluminum biner that arborists use for climbing (as long as they are triple action)

All that to say, I think the 65 lb. and 90 lb. children were well within safe working limits of the available equipment.
Geez, I thought you were going to chide me about turning a 9 year old loose aloft with a Silky...

hahaha....9 year old may be OK. May....I cut thru a fingernail to the bone once with my Silky...and I was about 49. :D

Watch 'em close.

Back