Chipper truck dump angle.

I've never seen a chip truck that can dump without pinning the doors open first. Most trucks the doors will hit the ground and bend the hinges if allowed to swing free like that.

We did good on the design, there. Fully intentional that the doors wouldn't hit the ground. We tried to restrain those heavy container doors, but the doors broke the pins several times. Free swinging wins again :D
u9U.gif

I'm sure that's true, but we'll be onto an aluminum body by then. The container was just to get us off the ground for the first couple of years. Besides, we have 4 more high cube containers if we need to crib hinges or parts.

You might write on the dashboard/ make a sticker : "truck can only dump on level ground".

My old truck doesn't have a shift pattern on the aftermarket knob. On the dashboard, a paint pen marks the gear pattern and "9"6" height. NO ladders under carport". Might not be fancy, but it cost me about 37 cents worth of paint pen, and 45 seconds of writing.

My door hinges were sloppily rewelded, before my ownership.

You might write on the dashboard/ make a sticker : "truck can only dump on level ground".
That is part of the training, that point is very much stressed. No one drives it and no one dumps it without that understanding. Not because of the doors per se, but if you dump unlevel, you could severely tweak the rear dump hinge or break a ram. That container is heavy (understatement).

My fabricator/welder guy uses D rings instead of chain. A bit neater IMO. This is a lightweight example but the same principle applies.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 23
:thumbup:

Chain is nice so when the hinges rust up, or the door gets banged up, it still works lol. Operators and truck drivers are dumb where i come from :lol:

We have D-rings on the top of the container so as to crane off the top cap and convert it to a regular dump truck. Haven't used it that way, since we really need a pusher axle on it before we put that much weight on it (in the form of dirt, gravel, or sand).

That is part of the training, that point is very much stressed. No one drives it and no one dumps it without that understanding. Not because of the doors per se, but if you dump unlevel, you could severely tweak the rear dump hinge or break a ram. That container is heavy (understatement).

GP, not picking a fight or anything, ok, you could be on level ground, and have a hill behind that could cause a problem, or a previous pile of chips.
I'm sure feeding the winch line into the chipper wasn't left out of the training, nor underemphasized.

I thought up a new phrase, cerebral flatulence. Worse than that would be a graymatter shart. Sharts happen. :whine::O

Never broken is way better than fixed.

No fights desired, for sure (I'm willing to be a punching bag to avoid them). We dump with the previous pile o-chips behind us all the time, since we dump at our lot 75% of the time. The shape of the dump pile (anthill-like) lets you back up till your rear wheels are touching the base of the pile, but not up on it. Then you dump and stagger drive forward to get it to all feed out. The doors act like a chute that contains the pile and directs the outflow. And the doors cut through the old chips like a knife. We haven't had any issues doing it this way hundreds of times. We get 2 neat piles side-by-side, up to 10 total dumps in the corner we have allocated to chips.

Back