What's the Biggest Thorn You Have Seen?

Nutball

TreeHouser
I submit my record of 12-3/8" Honey locust thorn, it even has a >7" thorn coming off the main one. Just thought this was interesting. How big have you seen? I'm curious how big these get. I know this one has to be up there.

Attachments

• DSC05093 (795x800).jpg
    DSC05093 (795x800).jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 82
Honey Locust & Osage Orange are what we commonly encounter. Maybe an Acacia once. Brought home some locust thorns so the children could appreciate what we had to deal with that day. We wound up popping the tire on our ultra heavy duty hand truck with a thorn. How about this one from Israel?
Israel_Photos_3_196.jpg.540x.jpg

When I saw the thread title, Honey locust immediately came to mind.

One of my least fond memories is taking one of the biggest Honey locusts in the country down.
It was covered in Ivy and had to be climbed down.
Took a while before I had healed up afterwards:lol:

Though not as large , I do a harbor a certain hatred for the Thorny Apple / Hawthorn. Have had the dead thorns pierce flesh then break off inside said flesh. I treat them like surgical waste ...

I don't have climbed a honey locust yet and I'm mot in a hurry.
The thorns of some sprouts on the black locust are plenty enough for me. That and the Pyracantha...

There comes a point where apprentices are just raring to get a chance to climb and show they can do the job.

Some years ago, my partner, richard, was taking some trees down, just drop and fall stuff, with the apprentice.
He had been going at Richard all day about getting to do one, so finally Richard let him do the last tree.
A Honey locust.

He told me that the apprentice climbed up there and after a short while said: " You son of a bitch!":lol:
Guess he learned something about trees that day.

Sounds like a set-up for an uncomfortable accident.

I'd never send a noob to do something hazardous or unsafe, but that's just me.

What is hazardous about thorns?

Uncomfortable as hell, sure.

But hazardous?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Isn't it something like 1/4-1/2" deep to the arteries in the neck? One slip and you'd be tore up or even speared through. Even the little bushes often pop big farm tractor tires.

Interesting how we never see things the same way.

As in NEVER.

Yet I bet we'd get on real well if we ever met over a beer.

Internet dialoge sure can screw things up.

Back