Dog Breeds and training

My dad has a couple of friends who breed dogs. One couple breeed Newfies. Awesome dogs and they are amazing in water. The other couple breeds Pyrenean Mountain dogs. Again, a great breed and my kids used to love going over there after the bitches had pupped. Like a little load of baby polar bears wobbling about.

As for the pitbulls, never would I trust one. I am strongly against status dogs and unfortunately coming from South London there are all to many knobheads with dogs to make them look hard. Stafford, pits, English bull terriers can be caring, family dogs but if you play with fire long enough chances are you will get burned.

Personally, I wouldn't leave any dog in a room alone with a baby.

the pitbull debate is really the same as the gun debate really. There are as many pits as guns here in Detroit. many of them tied to trees on rusty chains in unfenced in yards for years. I jave kicked a few in the mouth. luckily have had no bites. I personally think all dogs should live outside and go where they please. if someone wants to feed them great. if one crosses the line of bad behavio, it gets killed. south America and India pre vulture disapearance. Reservation dogs are some of the best dogs in the world because they have lived in symbiotic relationship... mutually beneficial. mean and stupid dogs are long gone in this sort of environment. Detroit used to have a stable wild dog population of good mutts. They have been sort of wiped out. the let loose fighting dogs are the worst.

In India the vultures all died and the dogs have filled in the void and now its really messed up there are so many dogs.

Just found this today.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NZ74oFctP_g" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Really interesting I think.
Would have loved to see way more examples, though.

The reason the two dogs attack is simply the pack effect, they are two against one.

In the other examples, when the Alpha person curls up and shrieks, that is signalling to the dog, with ( Hopefully) a lower status, that all hell is loose. Not even the Alpha wolf can deal with it, so better get the hell out of Dodge.
I'm sure that if the owners had calmly fought back and called on the dog for help, it would have gone down differently.

If you want a single dog to protect you, train it to do that.

30 years ago we lived in an old farm way out in the sticks that used to house a Hippie commune.
Some of the women had told us that they'd had trouble with a peeping Tom at night.

I had a dog at that time, half German shepherd and for all I know, half Norwegian Fjord horse, at least that is what I always told people, who asked.
He was huge, but not in the San Bernard, Newfoundland, sorta clumsy way.
Just a 140 pds big, agile dog. I clocked him doing 57 km/hr running next to my motorcycle.
A huge friendly dog with a big heart.

So I turned him into an attack dog.
Taught him to go for a person, if the secret word was said.
Gotta make sure the word is not one you'd use in an everyday conversation, or bad things could happen.
So I used the word: " Meat pie" ( We'd just come back from working in New Zealand the year before, seems like that is all they eat down there)

Got to the point where you could point at anybody ( I had a lot of volunteers helping) say meat pie, and he'd jump, grab their arm, and down they'd go.
He'd then hold on till told to release, back off a bit, while still being in attack mode.
Worked wonderfully.

So one dark november night my wife had just gone to bed, when she realized there was somebody outside the bedroom window, with his nose pressed against the glass.
She rolled over on my side of the bed, grabbed the .357 mag out of the nightstand and put a shot through the window about 10" over his head.
We never saw hide or hair of him again.

So much for guard dogs.

Around here she would have gone to jail for illegally discharging a firearm unless she had proof of his presence and if she would have hit him she would still go to jail unless she dragged him inside the house.

So where you live, a peeping Tom would go to the cops and explain that while he was illegally trespassing on a farm way out in the sticks, peeping through a window to watch the woman of the house undressing for bed, he had been shot at but not wounded.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Around here she would have gone to jail for illegally discharging a firearm unless she had proof of his presence and if she would have hit him she would still go to jail unless she dragged him inside the house.

"around here" is way different that "way out in the sticks", right?

Apples and oranges.

mutts are the best dogs. chill, smart, adaptable and not prone to weird diseases. purebred dogs always have some sort of issue or another it seems

Mutts are great. And purebreds can have issues. But on the other hand, only a Rottweiler will be a Rottweiler. And only a Chihuahua will be a Chihuahua. We've had both, and other.

Reservation dogs are great?

Yes, great targets.
This is what makes them such great dogs. Good mutts are hard to come by in the overly sanitized cities where dogs don't have the chance to deal with survival of the fittest. Res dogs have evolved to be smart and tough and tactical. I had a res dog that lived 19 years. It was the best damn mutt. I have two mutts now I stole from their mother out of an abandoned house. Ill post a picture of the two bitches when I get a chance. Purebreds are either bred to be pretty, or they are bread to work. Pretty dogs are stupid, work dogs need to work and work a lot in the field where they were bred to work. A coon hound that never gets to chase a coon will be the most miserable dog. I hate seeing a Jack Russell as a house dog, it need to be chasing rabbits all day. the border collies and sheep dogs need to be herding sheep or at least mentally challenged to the point that your average dog owner just can't keep up and the dog gets bored and ornery..

IMG_1365.JPG file:///Users/emilybrent/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library.photolibrary/Masters/2018/03/27/20180327-141516/IMG_1365.JPG

here's the other. Sava and Sheba. 12 years old detroit street. I see their cousins from time to time round and about. disappearing though, they are cleaning up the city and one of their main focuses has been to get rid of the dogs.

Attachments

• 20171018_173116.jpg
    20171018_173116.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 37
20180522_082738.jpg I dont know how to rotate photos. but this is me when I was five with my res dog when we lived in Northern Arizona. I had that dog until I was 21. best roll dog ever. I still have dreams of him.

Nice set of woolies you have on!

Fellow I know found a rez dog last year.

He really wanted to keep it, but it did go to a good home.

The rez next to me has an outfit called Rez Q Dogs. Its an adoption agency.

you can believe as a five year old I wore that outfit pretty much everyday. I loved those chaps and boots.

Back