Dog Breeds and training

One thing I should have mentioned about training, is that there comes a point where one realizes that a certain dog is untrainable.
Then it is time to get rid of the dog, so it won't make your life suck.

On that note, I shot Jack yesterday.
I've had him for 2 years and it has been an uphill battle all the way.
I managed to zap him enough times that he wouldn't chase deer and hares, most of the time.
He'd still stray unless I kept my eye on him constantly, as in constantly!
2-3 times a week he'd simply be gone, returning hours or half days later.
He simply had no sense of "pack". While the other dogs stuck together, he'd always be off on his own, doing stuff.

Eternal vigilance may be the price of freedom, but it is not a price I'll pay for having a dog.

He would also sound like the audition for "an American werewolf in London" everytime somebody passed the truck with a dog.
Scared the crap out of people, which is not smart.
Particularly not when he is in a truck with the company logo on the side.

About 6 months ago we were packing up to go home from logging, and Jack disappeared.
We had to wait 2 hours for him to show up, so we could drive home.
I would have ended it there, but Richard talked me into giving it another try.

Yesterday a lady came up to me while I was working and said that my dog had jumped out of the truck and chased her little dog.
I didn't even have to ask what color mine was.

So on the way home I bought a pound of liver pate, Jack's absolute favourite special treat.
Got home and set to digging a grave, which the dogs found interesting as hell.
That done, I cut some slices of bread, got a gun and some eye and ear protection.
Took Jack out to the grave, we had a good time together, a bellyrub and then I made him some liver pate sandwiches.
I smeared the last of the pate on a patch of grass, when he was licking that off, his head was still, so I put a bullet in his brain.

I was sad as hell, but honestly, I should have done it 6 months ago.

This morning when I arrived in the woods at 5 AM, it was so nice and quiet, so I took the dogs for a short walk before starting.
It was so fine to walk and not have to look after the dogs, knowing that they would be within 30-50 feet of me.

Made me realize how much I've missed that.

Our smallest dog Zozo, passed away today. About 6 weeks ago, she could barely walk and had high fever. Tests suggested liver infection or failure. It took weeks to deteriorate to that point, but medication recovered her to where she was sprite and peppy. But last night, she looked great at 10pm when my wife went to bed first. When I went to to bed around 1am, I noticed Zozo was almost limp. In only 3 hours she got that weak. Today her temperature soared. And we realized trying more medication would simply put her on a roller coaster of feeling okay then feeling like crap ongoing. Seeing her only quality of life gone ... which was mainly comfort ... our vet agreed to take her after closing to put her to sleep. I feel sad, but not bad. She was the best dog of all we've ever had. But we have a new Rat Terrier that's a pretty good addition to the family. We were going to rule-out small breeds in the future, but decided to be open to it 10 or 15 years into the future when we're older. Zozo ashes will be placed near this coast redwood. The other photo is our son in law, holding Zoey within the past few weeks when they visited.

Hands-down she was the best pet I've ever had. I don't plan to fill her shoes, and am thankful for the blessing of having her to take care of over those years.

Attachments

• La_Leche_Print_Sample.jpg
    La_Leche_Print_Sample.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Colt_Zo_Zo.jpg
    Colt_Zo_Zo.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 15
Always tough. My oldest thundy is starting to slow up. I worry how much longer he'll last, but just try to enjoy having him around still.

RIP Zozo.

Back