Indian Clubs

pantheraba

More biners!!!
I use these for shoulder/arm/wrist mobility, body agility, etc.

I know shoulder problems are pretty common for tree guys...and lots of other activities that use repetitive and extreme motion. The clubs can help maintain existing capabilities, enhance them further, prevent future injury by properly conditioning and strengthening the areas and to some degree restore health to an injured area.

There is a lot of good info on the web about Indian Clubs, history, proper use, good videos, etc.

c070b6ac-ce82-4f3d-b034-e1919a2d3541.jpg

This is some of the exercises I do as part of my warmup for the rest of a workout.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EmHVWJv4t40" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not yet...those are one pounders...good for general movement. Some are waist high and HEAVY...some strong dudes use them.

Those are a lot like the Shi ichi used in Okinawan karate.
Basically a wooden rod with a weight on the end.

Similar things were used a lot in medieval Europe, to strenghten the wrists of those wielding the heavy broad sword.

Gary, from one martial artist to another, let me say that you are a pleasure to watch.

Actual usable strength, as opposed to the "Just get bigger muscles" shit that is prevalent today, fluidity that could be used as an illustration of the "Ju" principle in Japanese martial arts.

For an old fat guy, you really do quite well.

I'm gonna hi-jack your thread for a post or so, but basically I'm just elaborating on what I said in the first post:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VzXiBEgP0rc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is really interesting:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OkRJxYpiV_4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_mfn5As4G5o" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If any of you can't tell why she generates more power than he does, let me know and I'll explain it.
It is really quite simple, if you watch the slow motion parts.

Haven't though of Old yeller for a long time.
For a dog lover, that was just the worst.

Good hi-jack, no problem.

Actual usable strength, as opposed to the "Just get bigger muscles" shit that is prevalent today, fluidity that could be used as an illustration of the "Ju" principle in Japanese martial arts.

Fluidity of motion is efficiency to me...you see that in the Chisholms and Hunickes of treework. I have noticed many times in August's videos how adeptly and fluidly he maneuvers in the tree as a rigged piece tries to come into his workspace. Or as masters of movement in the trees flit from one limb to another to get to their next work position. Fluid, graceful leaps, transitions and landings.

Master climbers do what we do as martial artists...remove ourselves from the threat...sidestep,duck, whatever...though as MA we then "replace" in that space something to neutralize the threat. It can look like "dance".

That was good...booken vs broadsword.

I put that in by mistake, have changed it to what I wanted originally.
It was, however, quite good.
They were pretty equal, showed the respect and care for each other that is necessary, when you work with no protection.
It was a bit fake, though, in that nobody can move a broad sword like he did, using a wooden, much lighter copy.

I'll post it here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cFGPCTMp2cw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He looks like Synthol to me, and I feel the same way.
Let one of the Gracie boys at him, they'll show him what is what.

Guys like that build them selves up to try and look hard.

Picture the team of bouncers/security at a nightclub. The beefcakes look the part but the small guy at the back is probably the most dangerous of the lot.

Not in all cases might I add, but it certainly rings true IME.

I agree....the Thai and Burmese guys in the MA thread are not big at all...but definitely lethal fellows.

You could also make a video titled "who can lift more? a bodybuilder or a jujitsu master?" It's also hypothetical question to make a big guy who can't fight feel better about himself even though lifting and fighting are two completely different things. Those youtube comparison videos are retarded. Can a bodybuilder punch harder than a boxer? Considering he doesn't train for it, how could he?

You could also make a video titled "who can lift more? a bodybuilder or a jujitsu master?" It's also hypothetical question to make a big guy who can't fight feel better about himself even though lifting and fighting are two completely different things. Those youtube comparison videos are retarded. Can a bodybuilder punch harder than a boxer? Considering he doesn't train for it, how could he?

I think the main difference is, the martial artist knows he won't be able to lift more than the body builder. Where as the body builder will probably think he can hit harder than a skinny guy.

Weightraining often builds muscles and also ego. Martial arts and fighting sports build humility and respect for others.

Again, I am speaking from experience. Not everyone who lifts weights is like that and vice versa, some martial artist can be assholes as well.

True Butch.

I think it depends on the art... But as I mentioned...

"some martial artist can be assholes as well"

In fact the two major buttcracks I have met who have been BB's were both TKD. A girl at my uni introduced me and the guy who trained me to one of her friends who was on the GB TKD team.

Perhaps the opening line - "Rich, Phil meet my friend Alan, he is a thai boxer as well." Well Alan responded, with frig off I am TKD and got all shirty and started puffing his chest out.

The other guy was just a tit, full stop.