Patron Saint of Bore-Cutters

Nope, I actually swung the saw around a bit at the end in order to not do that.

Sean if you imagine looking at the stump from above and call the direction of intended fall 12 o'clock.
Then the usual method, using a short bar would be to bore in and set your hinge at 3 o'clock, then cut back to 5 o'clock.
Pull the saw out and bore in again at 7 o'clock, cutting forwars to set the other side of your hinge at 9 o'clock.
Then you trip the tree by cutting the backstrap from the outside.

I bore in at 7 o'clock and set the hinge, then bore in again by 3 o'clock and do the other hinge and eventually just power through the remaining wood.

Nothing revolutionary, it is just a bit faster.

Like I said when I first mentioned making the video, I realize that "a bit faster" doesn't matter a whit in an arborist setting.

Does this explanation make sense to you?

If not I'll try to draw it.

Yup, watched it again...I see how you just walked the second half of the back cut around.

That was excellent to watch, Stig. The video definitely would've been longer if it was me lol.

How long have you been doing this?

41 years more or less.
So if I didn't have it down pat by now, there'd be something seriously wrong with me.

That's nice. Smooth.

When I was trained by professionals, I asked why not set up a bore cut,ccutting with a bottom of the bar to set up your hinge, then pull the saw out and flip it over, and reinsert the bar in the kerf, to cut the meat out of the back cut, setting up the backstrap. I remember very clearly to this day. He looked at me and said basically because we're teaching you to cut like professionals.

The way Stig did it was smooth and effective.

Cutting in someone's backyard, I don't see any problem with doing it like Sean mentioned- "reinsert the bar in the kerf, to cut the meat out of the back cut, setting up the backstrap."

Me, either. In fact that was exactly the way Mr. D.D. Dent taught us to do it. And that was not in backyards, that was cutting trees for harvest, as well as for hazard removals. The main reason he emphasized for doing that way was that it left the faller facing right down his planned and cleared escape from the stump path. The quicker you exit that area, the higher your chances of avoiding badness.

I've nearly always done it that way, unless I instead pulled the saw and released from outside the back. Under certain circumstances of heavy head lean or compromised stump structure, also per Dent's teachings.

I think Sean's instructors were full of crap.

I don't get that extremely open face cut.
Takes forever to make and doesn't work any better than a normal one.

Also, he has absolutely no stump shot.
Hope that tree doesn't hit another on the way down, or it'll come backwards off the stump.

:thumbup:

Hell, I don't know.
If you want a fast cutting chain, why use a semi chisel.
Those are mainly run by arborists and other amateurs here.

Also, I tend to look down on people who can only sharpen using some kind of device.
If one does chainsaw work for a living, one should learn to sharpen with just a file, no crutches IMO.

I liked the idea of filing with the saw upside down, never seen that before.

Sure as shit, Cory.

God ( Or whoever) knows we don't get paid very well for logging, so pretty much all we have going for us is the pride of being good at trade that is rapidly disappearing.
The harvesters are breathing down our necks in my part of the world.

Cory, it is all I have to give them. Pride!
We are a dying breed.

Back