Patron Saint of Bore-Cutters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are plenty of obstructions in the woods, unless you are clear cutting.
In thinning operations, you have to avoid damaging other trees and new growth, avoid rocks and stumps in order not to damage the log you are felling.
It is a common misconception that we can just toss the trees every which way.
You may also have extremely un-level ground to contend with in many scenarios, whereas our terrain is generally flatter. I didn't mean to insinuate that there are no obstructions in the woods, however to my mind the consequences of misplacing a tree in the woods are generally less than in a residential setting. Misplacing a tree in a neighborhood could result in a smashed fence, car, or roof and then you have to immediately contend with an angry homeowner or outraged neighbor. Or if you hit power lines, you could wind up blowing a transformer or shutting down power to the neighborhood (and your job until the power company comes out.) All this is theoretical, of course ;) -- like August, we haven't filed an insurance claim in over 25 years.

Love this t-shirt, by the way:
400_fencerepair-t-front.jpg

Some great looking timber & nice cutting from the crew there Stig. Really nice fell with the co-Dom especially. It was smart to cut that buttress root below the hinge to avoid it pulling & holding it on the stump too long.

Stig, where is the Mark Chisholm vid you mentioned in #30? Maybe I haven't watched it. But I still say it would take all of 1.5 minutes to turn him into a superior logger. He is plainly a world class treeman/tree cutter and he's young and strong as an ox. Strictly an rhetorical point as to whether or not he'd make a good logger but color me as believing he would be world class at it with little to no training beyond what he already possesses.
There is a reason I chose to start this thread in the Felling and Rigging forum, instead of the Logging forum. I was specifically interested in the bore cutting technique for tree felling, which I have seen us use only rarely on our crew. Logging is a unique skill set, as is climbing. But given that it's all arbor-related, there is a great deal of overlap. So the fundamentals are there and necessary understanding, but perhaps not the nuances and practice -- both of which take time to acquire. That's why we need a master faller like Stig to pass on what he can, and why I wanted to pick his brain in the first place. I'm glad he's taken over control of this thread, since I rolled out the welcome mat on it. Loving the videos, for sure.

Meanwhile, I don't know if we can exalt one disciple over another, since they are unique skill sets to a particular problem. For example, take rigging. I don't know how much rigging Stig does, but we have extensive experience with it given our residential focus. I watch August's videos and it is so familiar -- it looks like our daily routine -- except he deals with a lot more soft woods whereas we are typically dealing with hard woods. I was definitely highly underwhelmed watching Asplundh work our town lately, as you can scarcely call what they were doing rigging. Same with another regional line clearing company we watched last week clear the power lines before we hit that monster maple. They were doing natural crotch rigging on mature silver maple, shredding their lowering rope. But I guess their goal was expediency and to limit their manpower to 2 men, so their technique was working for them to chunk out leaders away from power lines.

Yes, you only burn the rope if you run it.

Nice felling vid Stig, you have a lot of American in your English speaking voice.

Their high priority goals are probably using the least equipment possible as well as the least expensive equipment because nice gear will just get wrecked, lost, stolen, or not used. And based on what I've seen in my locale, productivity and time-spent issues are virtually non existent. They are being paid by the utility's deep pockets, there is no incentive whatsoever to be productive.

Ha just watched Marks' vid. I hadn't watched it before because the title page of it showed that annoyingly tall top cut. While there were a few things in there I don't ascribe to (ESPECIALLY the top cut first), I still say mark is a world class tree cutter. He'd demolish full time logging if it came to that.

That is for sure.

Cory, the Swedish guy was filing half round chisel, not square chisel.
Look again.

Nice felling vid Stig, you have a lot of American in your English speaking voice.

Since I've only been to the British isles twice and never for more than a week at the time, and lived in the US for years, no wonder:D

Next time I do a video, I think I'll sorta make up what I want to say beforehand, so I don't stumble-fumble about so much.

Yes but I thought 'half round chisel' is known as 'semi chisel' and square chisel is known as chisel. And rounded-corner chisel is known as chipper.

Maybe I is wrong about the terminology.

For example, take rigging. I don't know how much rigging Stig does,.

Nowhere near as much as you do, but a fair lot, still.
Also, I have been at it since the days of 3 strand rope and naked crothes.

I heard Stig!!! Thanks for the videos, Stig.

We may have created a monster!! I like seeing how y'all do things. Cool co-dom fell. I like the precision (matching up) of his cuts...I am envious.

It looks like they are posting at 480 resolution? Ideally you are recording in 1080? You can better HD quality if you dink with it some (dink is the kinder version of what you need to do...:D)

Soldier on! Cool to hear your voice...good articulation, easy to understand.

Some great looking timber & nice cutting from the crew there Stig. Really nice fell with the co-Dom especially. It was smart to cut that buttress root below the hinge to avoid it pulling & holding it on the stump too long.

He was afraid it would hold better than the other side of the hinge and make the tree twist as it came down.
But I guess you knew that already, so that explanation was for the non loggers here.:)

Not the voice I was expecting at all! Funny how it's always like that...
I have that same reaction every time I hear myself speak:lol:
Actually, your voice is just about what I had thought. But I do have quite a few German friends, a Dutch woman friend, and even a Dane acquaintance (he described Denmark as boring, seemed happy to be traveling overseas). But yes, your English accent is more US-leaning than the German Eur-inglish that I have become accustomed to.

Next time i make a video, i'll have to talk myself through it once or twice before I do the deed.
That way I'll be speaking more like way I normally do, and not so much " Holy shit, I'm making a video"!!!!!!!!

I'm really new to this.

Sometime this summer, we have to cut one of the last stands of really big ash trees left in the country.
We went and checked it out last fall, but it was way too wet to log it.

There are a couple of really nice trees in that stand, I'll make a video of that.
Be a bit more interesting to watch than medium sized beech.

Back