Patron Saint of Bore-Cutters

Nice vid and sharp saws!

Why did you take your saw out of the back cut when inserting the wedge?

That was not me.
I leave it in.
I'm also 31 years older that the guy in the video and have a grey beard.

Oh ok got it.

Cudos to you for being mistaken for a young buck.

So a forwarder comes in after and picks up all the logs, must have to drive thru a fair amount of heavy duty brush and slash to get some of them hiding in the top.

Cory, everything is forwarded out.
Cut brush, branches, slash......everything.

Usually they sort it in place, pile the brush to one side and forward the logs.
Then later in the year they come for the brush, once it has dried out some.

We have converted a bunch of coal fired powerplants to run on biomass the last few years, so everything that isn't logs end up in the chipper.

There is extra demand for chips this winter because we've had a bad drought, so the amount of straw available from grain fields is very much lower than usual.
Some of the straw burning heating plants will have to supplement with chips.

Prices have already gone way up.

In getting a hardwood tree down in a narrow lay between two others, the best way is to get it to roll.

Causes it to slip through the branches of the other trees instead of getting hung up and minimizes breakage in the other trees.

Aiming a bit to one side of the lay and gutting the hinge helps with that.
So does a step dutchman.
Calculated right, it will cause the hinge to break in the side where you aim off the lay, setting it free to roll.
Another way to aid that is to cut the backcut level with the face, no stump shot in the side you want the tree to roll away from.
Unless you do that, the tree will lock up against the stump shot, and worst case scenario, the front of the log will break off in a big slab.
No veneer peeling from that one.

Man, I wish you could have made it over here.
There is so much I would have liked to show you about this way of felling trees.
Totally different world from arborist work.

The dutchman didn't do much, if anything, in this case, but it usually does.

Me too..

I need to get out and see more of the world... I'll keep it on the bucket list and be happy to pay my own ticket when the time comes...

Appreciate the info... more of a curiosity though as you rightly say its a much different world than residential arb work.

Rolling seems like a very good strategy... better to set it up to roll during the fall than fighting it after the tree gets hung up. the risk of hang ups is something we almsot never face in suburban backyards..... I've seen large tops roll 90 to 180 degrees during the drop and haven't figured out exactly why... I thought I had figured it out after the top of this pine tree spun 180 degrees before hitting the ground... https://youtu.be/7Y5_bGt-sL4?t=678, but never experimented with it enough to remember exactly what caused it. Notice in this video at 13:21 you can see the notch pointing straight up in the air, when it should be pointing down.. and you can see the top roll or spin during the fall.. clearly spun 180 degrees during the fall.... One thing for sure that is required is a very narrow notch so the piece has time to roll after the hinge breaks.... I was also wondering if the way the pull line was wrapped might have torqued the top to make it spin.

The side of the hinge that rolled back, let go first and was clearly the side that held the least.... another mystery to be solved .. 35 years later and still love teasing out every bit of knowledge possible..

the level of the back cut certainly may have something to do with it. I was thinking if it would be done reliably it could be used to spin a side leaning limb out of the way during a fall.... would be a nice trick to have in the bag, though rarely needed...

About the rolling pin top, how I see that :
you have a highly asymmetrical piece with a very heavy and massive log, and a light and wide spread limb. The last acts as a sail and catches the air resistance, while the log plumbs down. Initially the limb is completely side way ( fall wise), then it takes the least resistance path rotating and orientating the whole top like a bomb's tail. That gives some momentum to the log and because of that, the log continue rotating at the end of the fall, even once it crashes on the ground and the limb shatters in pieces.
In the slow motions, you can see the log continuing rotating in the grass. I'd say that it takes about 120° during the air travel and the crush down, and then about 60° spin in the grass (log alone once the limb broke off). I didn't looked closely to the log's shape though, it could have been part of the final spin on the ground.

Just a possible explanation, no guarantee:D

WOW.

I hadn't thought about that... Wind resistance seems like it could effect the roll of a top, however this one looks like it starts turning very early before there is enough speed for wind resistance to be much of a factor. I definitely effects the way the limbs fall, making the tips float and the buts drop, but I think there is a better explanation for the pine top.. Thanks for that thought... worthy of consideration... Anyone else have a suggestion???

I was told to make a video of an easy way to trip a head leaner, so here goes.

The Swedish chef remark at the end is for Rich, who figured it would be like watching a video made by him.

It is an Austrian pine. Soft wood, front leaners will set down on your saw if you cut the hinge wood to thin, hence the thick hinge.

Anyway, 2 minutes is about par for the course for getting a tree like that on the ground, when you are production falling.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c98lZtF3Hfw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back