Patron Saint of Bore-Cutters

We need a whole thread of Stig videos, like an online logging training program!!! Get on it, would you buddy? :P :lol:

I fear Stig is rather like me, only he clearly is a few degrees more forward thinking on the video thing :). I never had the patience for it, myself.

I'd like to see anything he produces, that's for sure.

I'm simply too stupid to do videos.
I made one of me taking an extremely leaning ash down, but can't for the life of me figure how to upload it.

Problem is, it doesn't interest me enough that I can remember from last time how I did, so I had to start from scratch again.
This time I couldn't figure out how to go about it.

Sorry!

Can you get the files off the camera's card? If you can do that you could upload them to my dropbox and I could have access to them...I could edit them into, hopefully, something close to what you wanted to show. It would be an interesting experiment.

Let me know and I will send you a link that invites you to upload those files to my dropbox. Just don't get confused and send the princess bride/suisse maiden files to me by accident. Or maybe do....:D

That is the problem.
I can't get them off the camera.

I have dropbox ( Not that I ever use it, but I had to get it in order to recieve the video of my property that my apprentice made).

I have tried several ways to get the file from the camera to the computer without luck.

I'll talk to the computer guy that our company uses about it, he'll be able to make it work.

Yes Justin, having a couple of teenagers would be great for that.
Weigh that up against all the other hassle with them, and suddenly posting videos is not such a big deal:P

There is a small date storage card in the camera that you push on and it pops out. The camera came with a larger adapter card, about 7/8 inch by 1.25 in. The small storage card fits inside the larger adapter card. Ideally your computer has a slot just the size of the adapter card. When you put the adapter card into the slot the computer should bring up a dialogue window that will let you access the contents of the small storage card.

The other way to get the data off the storage card is to leave the storage card in the computer..that is what I usually do. You plug a proper cable (some cables are for data transfer...which you want to do...others are for charging. I think the camera came with the proper cable). When you plug in that cable the camera may come on and ask if you want to use it for "mass storage" or as a "PC camera". Choose mass storage by pressing the OK button top. That will bring up the dialogue window for downloading the files off of the camera. Choosing the proper mode is the key step that took me awhile to figure out. No instructions really come with the camera.

I'll make a video of how I do it and post it. Hopefully, we will see that leaning ash at some point.

The point of the camera was to keep you from going stir crazy from cabin fever. Now that you have your wrist back the camera itself might make you crazy (or crazier).:D

If it's making you nuts feel free to pass it along to whomever you wish...won't hurt my feelings but I would regret not seeing what you are doing over there. Maybe one of your youngster apprentices knows about this stuff.

I'll give it a couple of mere shots, Gary.
Will take some time, though, since I'm living in a logging camp in a part of the island M?n where there is no cell phone coverage at all.

It is a beautiful place, I'm considering moving there when I retire, if I ever do that, since house prices are like a third of where I live.

I finally figured it out, I think.

Mathias asked me help him with this ash, as it was a bit difficult to get on the ground in one piece, beeing about 40 meters tall and leaning almost 45 degrees. ( you can't really see how bad the lean is in the video)
I though of doing an intended barberchair, since they seem to be all the rage, but eventually decided to save my life and do a modified Coos Bay on it instead.
Since some of the ashes had core rot as you can see in the one lying somewhere in front of the leaner, I decided to open the side cuts up, so I could see what was going on in there as i worked.
With this much lean on a species that is prone to barber chair, I needed all the help I could get to save the log and myself.
So i basically just whittled away at it in order to remove enough wood, so it wouldn't be able to barberchair when I finally cut the rest.

In the end, it pulled back fibers and came down of it's own without me cutting the strap of wood.
Not quite what I intended, but it came down nice and easily, so goal achieved.

The goal being simply to try to save the log and the sawyer since one can't expect to get any precision in the fall with this tecnique and none was needed.:)

I was using Mathias's saw and that thing could have been sharper.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wusGFlXJ8Zc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We've got some very large beech and ash coming up, I'll see what I can do with those, video wise.

I'm off for bed, got to head out to logging camp at 4 AM.
See y'all next weekend.

The handle dangles. Seems kinda like a personal preference, boxer or briefs. ;)

Mine is like that, at present. My starter cord broke, but is just long enough to tie to the rope of the handle, mid-tree. I just changed it, too. Don't know why it broke so suddenly. Looked melted, rather than just frayed.

Good quality vid, Stig...steady when it needed to be. You twisted my brain a bit with that felling technique...thx for showing.

Hmmm. Glad you were confident it wasn't going to go crash bang on you!

The handle dangles. Seems kinda like a personal preference, boxer or briefs. ;)

Mine is like that, at present. My starter cord broke, but is just long enough to tie to the rope of the handle, mid-tree. I just changed it, too. Don't know why it broke so suddenly. Looked melted, rather than just frayed.

You will see extremely fast wear on the pull cord at the entrance to the housing, if there is enough slack to allow the handle to rattle around during every moment of saw use.

Putting another turn of the starter cord around the recoil spool to get proper tension on it is so basic a saw maintenance skill, that I am dumbfounded.

The handle doesn't rattle around until the cord breaks. After breaking there is not enough cord left on the starter's 'wheel' to thread directly through the handle, and you know the elastostarts are not just passed through the handle and knotted like older saws, anyway.

When the two parts of the cord are tied together, the handle is floppy because the knot jams against the housing because of the rewind spring's tension.

I didn't want to come down out of the tree to futz around in the truck, looking for a cord I didn't have handy or at all. I pulled up a 1-2 oz. star wrench, while the saw was resting in an existing horizontal kerf, I pulled 4 bolts, got the end of the cord, spun four bolts back in, and got to chunking. Way easier than lowering down and pulling up a saw, or rappelling off, and climbing back up.

I"m guessing they don't carry a spare handle with them away from the truck.

The dangling or tight "handle" or handle as personal preference is a joke, B.

I finally figured it out, I think.

Mathias asked me help him with this ash, as it was a bit difficult to get on the ground in one piece, beeing about 40 meters tall and leaning almost 45 degrees. ( you can't really see how bad the lean is in the video)
I though of doing an intended barberchair, since they seem to be all the rage, but eventually decided to save my life and do a modified Coos Bay on it instead.
Since some of the ashes had core rot as you can see in the one lying somewhere in front of the leaner, I decided to open the side cuts up, so I could see what was going on in there as i worked.
With this much lean on a species that is prone to barber chair, I needed all the help I could get to save the log and myself.
So i basically just whittled away at it in order to remove enough wood, so it wouldn't be able to barberchair when I finally cut the rest.

In the end, it pulled back fibers and came down of it's own without me cutting the strap of wood.
Not quite what I intended, but it came down nice and easily, so goal achieved.

The goal being simply to try to save the log and the sawyer since one can't expect to get any precision in the fall with this tecnique and none was needed.:)

I was using Mathias's saw and that thing could have been sharper.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wusGFlXJ8Zc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We've got some very large beech and ash coming up, I'll see what I can do with those, video wise.

I'm off for bed, got to head out to logging camp at 4 AM.
See y'all next weekend.

Your modified coos bay was a lot of fooling around. Looks like close to 5 minutes on that tree, only to crush the bar and get stuck holding the saw at the stump with a ton of fiber pull.. I'd be very surprised if that bar didn't get damaged with all the weight of that tree on it.. That vid looks like an embarrassment unless you were trying to show how not to do it.

I have a unlisted vid of a similar sized front leaning ash, not quite as big and not quite as much font lean.. 90 seconds... short bar, dull saw .. no fiber pull, clean log, clean low stump... Bixler and BOTS have seen ..

Hahahahahahahaaa!

39smq.gif

Back