Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Patron Saint of Bore-Cutters

Default Patron Saint of Bore-Cutters

stig, I'm calling you out. Well, not for a duel, but to explain your tagline, "Patron saint of bore-cutters".

Husqvarna's qualified trainer (out of Ohio, apparently) implies that bore cutting is S.O.P. (standard operating procedure). Yet for felling, we rarely do it unless there is a fence, wall, or some obstruction behind the tree that would prevent a clear backcut. I can see the wisdom of what the feller in Husqvarna's instructional video is passing on (to avoid a barber chair scenario, two points of holding wood). Care to fill me in on your "patron saint" text? Do you always (or nearly) bore cut when felling?
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/Teb2bQsqx44

Forest Keepers Tree Care - serving Lawrence, Topeka & the greater Kansas City area
    https://www.forestkeepers.com

You figure out that camera yet Stig? I've been looking forward to some saintly bore cutting advice myself.
    -Sean

That’s the way I was taught, to set your hinge first

I'm certain there was a thread on the forum somewhere which originally led to Stig adopting that tag line, but I have no idea when or where. Someone here (maybe Burnham) might remember and dig it up.
    -Brian

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

I've made 2 videos, but am a bit stumped on how to edit and upload.
    Will get some help from one of my old apprentices shortly.

Forestkeepers ( How about a shorter moniker) I've been a professional treefaller for 40 years.
    Started cutting pulp, moved into hardwoods and larger conifers and eventually added an arborist side line.
    I estimate that I have felled about 250 000 trees, so I'm not exactly what you'd call a greenhorn.
    That is not counting all the small stuff we fall, doing pre commercial thinning, if I counted that, I'd probably be over a million.

I've had COUNTLESS discussions with the West coast crowd here, who all think that if your bar isn't long enough to reach through the tree 1 and a half time, you're simply not a man.
    In Europe we do it the other way 'round. Use as light a saw and as short a bar as possible.
    That involves a lot of bore cutting, of course.
    I don't borecut if I can reach through from one side, there is no front lean and no heavy winds, but 95% of the trees we fall are borecut.

There is a hell of a difference between falling to scale in the woods and cutting trees in yards, it is two very different scenarios.

I just watched the video, and what he is doing is simply a waste of time IMO.
    Why borecut a tree that is standing straight up on a calm day, when your bar can reach through it.?
    Plain silliness.

What a pity Burnham is off travelling, we can usually get a good banter going about this.

I'm at a loss as to why you would want too short a bar At it. I can understand wanting the shortest length possible to make it to the other side of the tree.

Have you done much bucking and limbing in hardwoods.
    Like when you get paid by how many cubic meters you put on the ground.

When you are futzing around in all the branches, bucking the top up, with binds all over, a short bar is so much easier to handle.

Felling the tree is a small part of the work, it is the limbing and bucking speed that matters.

Say you are felling mature beech, which is what we do the most, you are cutting a 4 foot diameter tree.
    If you used a 4 foot bar, you'd be trying to make your way through the crown of it , doing lots and lots of smaller cuts, with that 4 foot bar.
    Impractical, in my opinion.
    Better to spend a bit more time felling it and have a shorter bar for the rest of the work.

that makes sense. having two saws would be too much to lug around as well I suppose.

We do that on the big trees, but it really is a bother.

There's a saying- The better the logger, the smaller the saw.

Makes sense cuz it takes time to get good and when you are good you are older and not as strong so less eager to carry any extra weight around in your saw. And your skills allow you to do more with less. In these parts I fairly often see tree services with huge saws- big engine/long bar. They typically seem not knowledgable.
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.