Crane school

I think Mark Chisholm invented or at least popularized the V cut.

Just another tool in the bag. Not really my cup of tea either. I think it helps more with an inexperienced climber. I’m pretty sure I remember someone mentioning that if you need to make that cut, it means you don’t know what’s gonna happen. Not really knowing how to read the piece, the v cut offers more forgiveness. Compression first and finish it off with very little if any “snap” cut. All of my stick crane pics were by the same operator and we had that pretensioning down. I had two where I stored my saw and told it was all his. I was staring at a clear 1/2” all the way through. Not that I’m an expert by any means but I must’ve been reading it right. A lot of feathering of the cuts helped. Let the limbs settle into the slings and retensioning before the release.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That’s the nice thing about crane school, we had the time to mess around, try weird cuts, rig pieces with 4 straps or more. If we were in production mode then most of those trees could have been felled from the ground.

Damn, how did I miss this thread?

Page, sorry that I didn't know you were at the workshop. I was one of the instructors there in Jim Roach's group. I go down every year to help out.

Back