Which chainsaw protection pants?

Buddy

Treehouser
Of all the climbing pants that provide cut protection which ones do you guys like the best? I am thinking about trying a pair for when I go back to falling. They won?t really be used for climbing. I use to use chap inserts that went inside my pants but they are no longer allowed. I don?t want to wear chaps if I can help it, they?re hot and the straps get snagged on stuff.

So many now...take your pick. I am partial to the ones that have ventilation zips on the back of the thighs.
Any sort will be hot to a degree, you just have to decide what you can tolerate and how to manage it.
If you are only going to be on the ground, get them loose in the waist and wear suspenders...helps with the heat management.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Bermy. Since I started looking I am finding many different brands like you mentioned. Maybe I should ask which ones not to buy. I’d hate to spend a couple hundred bucks on a pair of pants that only last a month.

I find if you read the comments on a lot of the sites like TreeStuff and Wesspur it gives you a good idea.
I would think that if you are going to be using them for felling, look out for ones that have a more robust outer layer, some of the stretchy fabric ones might get snagged too easily? Or at least have Cordura in high wear areas...

SIP, Husky and Stihl make a good range of chainsaw pants for on ground work.
A little more fancy, Pfanner Gladiators...

Nice Guy Dave did a review of SIP but I didn’t see any on the website. The Husky pants look good and I will have to look at Stihl, didn’t know they had any.

Stihl has like three versions of saw pants for sale here in Oz...

Most western log cutters are a traditional bunch. Chainsaw protective pants are something I am just discovering. :D

The Fallers over here seem to wear the Stihl logger pants...pretty standard, blue with orange flashes, think they come in a summer version which has more of a technical material, otherwise poly/cotton outer.

I tried the Clogger Zero chainsaw pants last year...first I tried Medium size:

Clogger Zero Chainsaw Trousers - Med.

They were WAY tight in the crotch...could barely move. I'm only about 5'10" and 145lb and normal size hip/butt area...32-33 waist so a Med. should have fit.

I exchanged them for Large Clogger Zero Chainsaw Trousers - Large STILL too tight in the crotch...I'm thinking maybe I really am a big stud or something. I called TreeStuff again and the girl there said they had some folks complain about the Clogger's fitting too tight. They look great but I couldn't move much.

I asked her what she suggested...she sees all the pants that folks buy and what does and does not come back to them. She suggested:

Arbortec Breatheflex Lime Chainsaw Pants - Medium -- Regular I got them and they are doing well...much more comfortable to wear in terms of freedom of movement. BUT they are pretty warm...I enjoyed them this winter...on cold days they really help cut the wind and provide good insulated warmth. Over 70 degrees and they are starting to feel pretty hot. When we get into the 90's here they are going to be near unbearable.

But for now the Arbortec are doing well for me.

I’m at the craneman inc class right now and most guys are wearing cloggers. They seem to really like them here.

I am of a taller build. Getting pants with enough in the leg and a waist size that fits can be challenging. I have tried quite a few pairs over the years and I keep going back these days to pfanners. Had about 6 or 7 pairs now.

Type C or all round protection arborist pants for winter. Type A, front protection, with vents on the back for summer. They cost more but they last at least twice as long as other brands I have tried.

If you finally decide to climb with it (I strongly recommend you that), you should have an arborist pant to follow your movements. The forester/logger pants may be more resistant to brush, bark and horns contacts, but the tight is a weak point and quickly come apart with the wide moves in a tree.
It does become hot in summer, but over the security aspect, I really appreciate the cushion made by the protective layers. You'll get way less bruises from the bark, tinny stubs, gear ...

I got these cloggerz after being in the pfanners for a long time and I absolutely love them. I can't say I believe they would stop a chainsaw they are so light but I guess Ill take their word for it..

I am 6 feet 1 and 175lbs and I am wearing the small cloggers and I actually need a belt with them.

Thanks for all the good info. Kevin it sounds like we’re about the same size so it’s good to know the pant size.

Over 70 degrees and they are starting to feel pretty hot. When we get into the 90's here they are going to be near unbearable.

Gary, do yourself a favor. You're 65, and in the south. Get Coolvests for you and Alex. They are PPE. Getting overheated wearing leg-pro is dangerous.

Gary, do yourself a favor. You're 65, and in the south. Get Coolvests for you and Alex. They are PPE. Getting overheated wearing leg-pro is dangerous.

I am going to look into them...have heard folks (MB was the first) brag them up. Thanks for the nudge.

Like anything else that aids productivity and safety, they pay for themselves over time. There would definitely have been early finishes due to heat, without CVs.

PNW natives melt at 80*.
My first day as a bike messenger in Chicago, it was 107 degrees and 500 people died.
I was so shot at the end of the day. When you're not fighting high heat- challenge all day, you're much fresher at the end of the day.
As the climber, you're not able to cool off like groundies... garden hose, blower, whatnot.

PNW natives melt at 80*. When you're not fighting high heat- challenge all day, you're much fresher at the end of the day.
As the climber, you're not able to cool off like groundies... garden hose, blower, whatnot.
That's why I need chainsaw protective SHORTS. I tend to melt above 75 degrees, but usually find a way to press on, even in days that top out at 100. Frequent trips to the customer's garden spigot (when possible) do help! I joke with our crew about installing a guttering system in my helmet to drain away all the sweat!

Back