Emergency Rigging

Altissimus

TreeHouser
... got phone call , please bring some rope and help with a Bull that had broken through the ice on a small but deep pond. Threw my 5/8 pull line and a few slings in the truck and headed. On the way I thought shit I should have brought a block or two and mebbee the Tirfor or Lewis Winch. Too late I figured. Arrived to just the Bull's head above water roughly twenty feet from shore. Ice was too rotten to walk on. We tried old school lasso and almost had it around his horns on the first try but it wasn't going to work quickly. I never take my pole gear off the truck and ran back for the hook and extensions. We dropped a loop around his his horns , by that time more help plus the Fire Dept. arrived. We pulled him out and he's cold and stupid but fine.

Sounds like a mess. I've had to get cows out of a well, stuck in a cattle guard and several other places. Still not as bad as a horse. Did you have to pull by hand or use the truck?

Ha! Damn lucky he had horns!

Typically all you get around here is a polled cow or bull (smooth head), so you throw a loop around the neck and hope to pull the critter out before you choke them down.

Sometimes it works.....not often though.

Good work!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No charge , don't eat Bulls (or Cows) anyways ... Next time grab a block ! , Would have made a big difference.

Funny coincidence , got call to help move a freezer for the same guy today ... Guess where the little black bull was.

I would have lassoed a few steaks and then said " oh i thought you called me to help get him off ice again" :D

Was just up there , the final sad epitath of saga ... All the meat is reported as extremely tough and unenjoyable eat.

Back