retracting reel foot ascender

kevin bingham

TreeHouser
ascender.jpg been using this for a few weeks and its a great way to go instead of a HAAS or SAKA. compact and zippy.

Looks very cool. #HomemadeRocks

Yeah it takes the place of the bungee. I have one rigged up exactly as you show in your videos. I've been using it off and on for ten years. It definitely stood the test of time. Thanks Mr. Beranek.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
you got a picture of how you got yours rigged? whats the brand of reel you use.

I never knew they made an industrial re-tractor like that. That's way cool. Probably good for many thousands of cycles. By the way, what's the stroke on that thing, anyway?

Looks like 42" length and 2 lb pull. I'm sorry Kevin I should have clarified, I have one like Gerry has in his Working Climber videos. I think I'm going to make one as you have shown too. I have my regular SAKA and one new SAKA I ordered just before he quit selling them. So I hope those will last me a while. But I like to keep an extra on hand in case someone needs one. I really don't want to loan my SAKA's out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/klFdT2Yqejk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool, I'll have to give that a try next time I'm late for my appointment with the top of the tree.:P

Agree....well put together showing. Thanks.

First full front flip I have seen out of a tree like that...an the spiraling descent was very good. Very good display of skill.

I may have an added addiction. Using the reel and string that Kevin has discovered, I've placed them in three different cases. The first was the monkey, a bit heavy and bulky, but a lot fun to make. The bottom black one is an ultra light one, just big enough to house the reel. The third, in the middle, has plastic end caps and is a little bit sturdier. Now I look everywhere for something else to make another type of case. IMG_1820.jpg

Don't know how I missed the vid in #13, but, cool!!

This is a good concept, but needs to go a step further, by combining the ascender and the reel into a single compact unit.

Back