Resurrect 2 leaners?

pantheraba

More biners!!!
Recent heavy snow load here bent over theae 2 juniper (?) . The homeowner has asked us to try to get them upright again. I have some very large bamboo...6 inch diameter and up to 40 feet long that we can use as a splint to support the trees. The bamboo will let us run guy lines to nearby strong tree's for ongoing support.

The root ball shifted some in the right tree.

How resilient are these tree's? Are we wasting time trying to save them? Posted from phone...no clue why sideways.

Attachments

• 20180329_100707.jpg
    20180329_100707.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20180329_100704.jpg
    20180329_100704.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 48
Easy to fix... but really... are they leyland cypress? groan....

We "resurrected" a Smallish Serbian spruce Picea omorica after a heavy snow fall some years back.
Told the owner that we gave no guarantee for succes.

Last month I was back to cut a hedge down and she proudly showed me the spruce.
I was very sceptical back then, because it was laying down with 80% of the root wad in the air, and I told her so.

Swear you couldn't tell the damned thing had even been pushed over.

Personally, I'd straighten the one that hasn't been bend over so bad up, and support it.
The other one, I'd take the top off at the height where the bad bend occurs , set it upright, support it and let it grow a new top.

Before y'all go into " He said TOPPING" mode and stone me, let me tell you my reasoning.

Lawson cypress has been grown here for generations, not as trees, but as something where you can cut off the branches regularly.

The branches are used for funeral wreaths.

Those "trees" are regularly topped in order to keep them at a height where the branches can be cut from ladders.

My experience is that they set new tops, and if the plantation is left to itself ( I have to turn a large one into biomass next year) those tops grow into trees.
Sure they are not as strong as the original top in the beginning, but after a decade, it is hard to see, they were ever topped.

One thing; they set several tops, so you'll have to go back after 2 years and cut all but the best one off.

I just stood up 3 Leylands a few weeks ago. They did just fine. No room for a guy wire so I propped them instead

Most trees will self-correct after being bent over by a snow load. It should be no problem to help them along by guying for a short time.

VWyRECL.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I harvested the bamboo splints today...loaded up. I think we are going to end up making a rack for the top of the tree trailer.

Attachments

• bamboo splints for Ely  (6)resized.jpg
    bamboo splints for Ely (6)resized.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 17
  • bamboo splints for Ely  (7)resized.jpg
    bamboo splints for Ely (7)resized.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 17
  • bamboo splints for Ely  (8)resized.jpg
    bamboo splints for Ely (8)resized.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 17
  • bamboo splints for Ely  (9)resized.jpg
    bamboo splints for Ely (9)resized.jpg