Newbie - Starting Next Week

Fuel and oil saws on arrival to job site. Start saws to warm up prior to sending up. Learn clove hitch to send up tools, quick hitch or sheet bend to send up line

We only start saws on the ground if the climber requires it.
Most of the time we don't.

We never use a clove hitch to send up tools.

My point is, different crews do things differently.
So coming in with a load of preconcieved ideas about how to do things is not going to work.

Better to keep an open mind and learn how the crew you are going to work with, wants thing done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It sounds to me like your new boss is going to be getting the smartest, most knowledgeable newbee in history! You are going to be kicking butt and taking names! I get the feeling you might not be stuck on the ground for very long at all.

Tim

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, Tim. I've got a lot to learn, but one day at a time is the way. I hope you're right!

Take that EducatedClimber guy with a grain of salt. I think he realizes with each day that passes just how little he actually knows...

Haha, well I certainly say thanks for sharing the little bit that he does; and anything new that he happens to learn along the way!

Better to keep an open mind and learn how the crew you are going to work with, wants thing done.

I like to learn all that's available for tackling a task, listening to the how and why, and then deciding what makes the most sense to me. That said, I agree that the boss is the one calling the shots and I have no problem doing things their way on their watch. In the little bit of time I've spent with this small crew so far, he does seem to encourage any new thoughts/ideas and will openly say whether he wants it done his way or if he is fine with something different.

Good point. How do you prefer to send up pole tools?

We have a short sling and a carabiner on those.

So just clip into a slip knot.

There may be better ways of doing it, but that wasn't my point.

Same with the saws.

I like to have them started when they are sent up, Richard doesn't.

Except for the rare occasion when we drop a top with the 880.

NOBODY likes to start that bastard in a tree.

First day was a success. A few inches of snow this morning but it was 40 degrees by lunchtime. Rode with the boss to drop chips, then headed to the site where another employee was started on some smaller takedowns. Dragged/staged brush from 2 medium oaks while the boss worked from the bucket. Fed the chipper as brush was staged from all trees. The homeowner was a nice Indian woman and she made us some indian food for lunch! Bucked up everything over 6" after lunch for a neighbor to take later. Got to drop a small hickory spar at the boss's request as well. That stuff really holds on at the hinge. All cleaned up and gone by 3:30. I'm tired but not beaten up.

Good on you! You show that drive and determination and it'll be duly rewarded.

Sending pole saw up? My crew learns the "Knot-That's-Not-A-Knot", also called the "WhizKnot"

Pull a bight of line from your climber's line or utility/lowering rope through your other hand to form a loop, making sure there is at least ten feet of rope below, slip the pulling hand into the loop and twist it around three times. Let go with the non-pulling hand and gently lower the loop over the polesaw head past the blade and then pull down on the ground end of the rope until the 'hockle' you've created tightens down on the polesaw handle. Your climber can safely haul up the polesaw and then once he has it just drops the rope and it slides off the polesaw handle and untwists itself. No knot to untie, no carabiner to unclip. Haven't ever had it come undone prematurely, and holds even when drawing it up through thick foliage.

Marlin spike hitch can be used for passing most tools, accessories up to the climber using their climb line.

Fast and easy to tie once learnt. It also makes them look a donut if they tie the wrong way around, hopefully reinforcing the correct way to tie the next time.

Just remember that everyone has a different way. All knots can be good but a great knot comes undone just as easy as tieing it.

One of my pet hates is when someone ties a figure of eight on a bight on my saw to send it up to me. Pain in the arse to untie. One ground guy I worked with did it every time even when asked not to as that is how he was taught to tie a knot in the fire brigade. Stubborn sod he was.

Working the chipper already? I trust you got a good walk through of operation and safety first, probably did, but worth asking the question...too many people go through those things in the US it seems.

Working the chipper already? I trust you got a good walk through of operation and safety first, probably did, but worth asking the question...too many people go through those things in the US it seems.
Yes indeed, about 2 weeks before my start date we had a training day. We cleared out and reorganized the truck so everyone had an idea where things were kept. We went over chipper basics/operation, as well as outrigger and basic bucket/dump body operation on the bucket/chip truck. After that we did a little tree clearing work at the yard just as an intro/warmup kind of deal.

Can"t wait to hear how today goes!
Day 2 went well. Removal of two small fir trees at one site, followed by a big dead pine removal with some smaller surrounding trees at a second site.

On the 2 small firs, they were dropped one at a time, delimbed a bit, and the trunk cut about midway to clear obstacles for winching them to the chipper. Trying to keep busy, I cut off some larger diameter limbs that appeared to only be halfway cut by the first guy who dropped the trees. Turns out he did it on purpose, so they'd collapse as they fed into the chipper in one shot. Not a big deal, I dragged the handful that I cut and now I know for next time.

At the second site, the boss walked me through setting up a 2:1 to pull over the large dead pine next to the house. Before we dropped the pine, some smaller 20-30 foot trees surrounding it were felled and winched over to the chipper. I got the hang of winch-staging them them into the chipper, being cautious of the winch line and retracting it before sending them through, of course.

I pulled the pine over with the 2:1 after the boss faced, backcut, and set a wedge. We delimbed and chipped what was still attached after it crashed. Rain started (as expected) so we cleaned up the mess and left the rest to be bucked up and removed later. He doesn't like working if it's raining steadily. Same weather today, so no work. It's ok with me, because I always have firewood or local sidework to do anyway, so that's what I did yesterday afternoon and today.

So far one thing I struggle a bit with is directing him while backing the bucket truck and chipper. We've gone over some hand signaling basics that he prefers. I get the idea and I'm ok (not great) at backing things on my own, but I seem to always be a little late on directing and we have to pull forward a few times. Hasn't been a big deal, but might be something I have work on.

Tomorrow it should clear up and we're back at it, starting early!

Yes indeed, about 2 weeks before my start date we had a training day. We cleared out and reorganized the truck so everyone had an idea where things were kept. We went over chipper basics/operation, as well as outrigger and basic bucket/dump body operation on the bucket/chip truck. After that we did a little tree clearing work at the yard just as an intro/warmup kind of deal.

Day 2 went well. Removal of two small fir trees at one site, followed by a big dead pine removal with some smaller surrounding trees at a second site.

On the 2 small firs, they were dropped one at a time, delimbed a bit, and the trunk cut about midway to clear obstacles for winching them to the chipper. Trying to keep busy, I cut off some larger diameter limbs that appeared to only be halfway cut by the first guy who dropped the trees. Turns out he did it on purpose, so they'd collapse as they fed into the chipper in one shot. Not a big deal, I dragged the handful that I cut and now I know for next time.

At the second site, the boss walked me through setting up a 2:1 to pull over the large dead pine next to the house. Before we dropped the pine, some smaller 20-30 foot trees surrounding it were felled and winched over to the chipper. I got the hang of winch-staging them them into the chipper, being cautious of the winch line and retracting it before sending them through, of course.

I pulled the pine over with the 2:1 after the boss faced, backcut, and set a wedge. We delimbed and chipped what was still attached after it crashed. Rain started (as expected) so we cleaned up the mess and left the rest to be bucked up and removed later. He doesn't like working if it's raining steadily. Same weather today, so no work. It's ok with me, because I always have firewood or local sidework to do anyway, so that's what I did yesterday afternoon and today.

So far one thing I struggle a bit with is directing him while backing the bucket truck and chipper. We've gone over some hand signaling basics that he prefers. I get the idea and I'm ok (not great) at backing things on my own, but I seem to always be a little late on directing and we have to pull forward a few times. Hasn't been a big deal, but might be something I have work on.

Tomorrow it should clear up and we're back at it, starting early!

Stopping during backing for directions helps.

I can back someone dead over the ball on my tandem-axle, which tolerates no slop.
2 simple bits of info.
--how far to passenger/ driver side, or straight back
--how far back.

I call it "X,Y".

Don't need to have somebody telling me how to operate my trucks, just give me very basic info about what I can't see.

Very,. Very simple, easy, effective. Requires no trailer skills to tell someone "3 inchesto driver's side, 3.5 feet back"

Many people overcomplicate it.

I had two spotters back me into a parking lot electrical pedestal once. Unless I'm threading a needle with no room for error I'll gladly back myself in. Flags on a smaller chipper help.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Two people can be worse than one.

Be that 2 spotters, or involving an unnecessary spotter.

I will be getting cameras, after getting into my house.

When you can get machines to do the job instead of a person, that person can be doing what a machine can't.

Back