Newbie - Starting Next Week

Boots, just be prepared for anything. Counting on someone to provide for you, legally obligated or not, will usually result in you going without something. PPE, water, food, a ride home etc. Be self sufficient.

On the job, stay busy. Drag a rake, coil a rope, top off saws, pull hangers, blow out filters. If guys are standing around talking, don't join them until you are asked.

Don't make suggestions on a "better way" to do a task unless it's an obvious safety concern. Don't ask to use a customer's phone or toilet but be sure to ask before using their exterior tap to fill your water jug. Don't swear ?n the job.

Don't be a baglicker, asskisser, suck up etc. Don't get drunk with the guys or the boss, have a beer or 2 if offered then leave before the shit talking starts. Don't come in hungover, tired or bitchy. Those things have nothing to do with the job and are your issues, nobody else's.

Pay attention to everything. If they're flipping chipper blades, watch what they did so you can be of use next time. Learn where everything is stored so you can fetch when asked.

That's all I got for now.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Ryan! I think I'm already on board with most of that. I am a little anxious about staying busy doing things that aren't necessary or at an inefficient time. I have a habit of cleaning/tidying/organizing as I go sometimes, if time is idle. Just don't want to be doing that stuff when there's real work to be done. I'd imagine that's all just part of the learning curve as far as the workflow goes. I've told them (and will remind) to be vocal with me though. As long as I don't have to be told multiple times I'm sure it will be fine.

What?s all this obsession with water? I understand if you worked in tropical/desert climes, where does Boots live?

What?s all this obsession with water? I understand if you worked in tropical/desert climes, where does Boots live?

I'm about 2 hours North of NYC. It gets fairly hot/humid during the summer. I certainly won't forget my water regardless.

So bring a bottle of water, the idea of not working for anyone who doesn’t provide water seems a bit extreme, most people have water connected to their house, bring a plastic bottle in the truck and fill it up at the house.

First day, no lawnchairs and iced tea for pre-lunch break?? Fu$& this, I'm outta here.

I'll mention two of my pet peeves just as food for thought.

If you're working in the back yard and need to walk out to the truck for something, don't walk out empty handed. No need to waste a trip.

If there are small obstacles in the work area such as potted plants, garden hoses, lawn chairs or other such small items, then move them out of the way instead of working around them all day. You won't trip over them and they won't get broken. That's a win/win.

Where they drink water, I bet.
Gawd, you HAVE got a way.:lol:

Skwerl is spot-on...make transit from truck to tree or tree to chipper simple. I spent ten minutes one morning recently just cutting small trip trees out of the way between our tree trailer and the oak we were taking down.ll.gave us two paths to use. Carrying gear, especially when tired, you don't need to be tripping...recovery takes a lot of energy. Be efficient.

Don't try to lift stuff that you shouldn't, and squat down and use your legs. As a very wise older laborer once told me, burn gas not ass. Hopefully the outfit has some equipment for material handling. You will not impress anyone by getting hurt, and pace yourself, working all day is a marathon not a sprint. Don't run the chain in the dirt, and don't chip rocks when raking up at the end. Even though it sucks, wear your ppe, especially hard hat and glasses, and remember hearing protection isn't for whimps.

Ask their planned signals/ calls,

if/ when is it going to be 'call and response', or if a rev of the the cutter's saw means to clear the drop-zone.

HEAD'S UP...watch for hangers if your waiting, look for hangers before entering the drop zone if you've been off chipping or whatnot.

Water faucets could be winterized,
unfiltered well water can come from outside spigots,
we're often away from a building... If the guy brings a 16 oz bottle, he might have to go fill 8-10 times in a day.
Rentals apartments often don't have outside water supplies available.

Ask their planned signals/ calls,

if/ when is it going to be 'call and response', or if a rev of the the cutter's saw means to clear the drop-zone.

HEAD'S UP...watch for hangers if your waiting, look for hangers before entering the drop zone if you've been off chipping or whatnot.

Water faucets could be winterized,
unfiltered well water can come from outside spigots,
we're often away from a building... If the guy brings a 16 oz bottle, he might have to go fill 8-10 times in a day.
Rentals apartments often don't have outside water supplies available.

Jesus! You guys really worry about water too much. Iirc not one of my hired men, me or anyone I’ve heard of in this game has ever died of thirst.

Ha! My nifty stainless double wall thermos that I was given as a gift last summer in Bermuda has gone from being filled with chilled water to now filled with hot tea in Tassie. Whatever your flavour, bring liquid!

Thanks for all the tips, everyone! Very much appreciated. We're hitting that in-between stage in the northeast right now; still a little cold in the morning but warming up by the afternoon. Layers will be used, maybe some hot tea for the morning as well :D

Getting a little bit anxious counting down the last few days; after Easter Sunday this coming weekend I start as a brand new groundie. I've been homeowner/firewood treework experienced since I was a kid (bigger kid now, turning 34 this summer) and decided about a year ago that I want to learn to climb. I know some things, but technically zero professional/production tree work experience. Between then and now I've been using these forums, Beranek's works, EducatedClimber, TheSchultzEffect, youtube, etc. to learn as much of the intellectual side as possible.

I wanted to learn the right way, so I started by searching ISA for local Certified guys, talked to many different Arborists about my situation and things in general, and zero'd in on a smaller sized but seemingly high quality operation close to me. We did an "intro" day a few weeks ago, just reorganizing the truck so everyone gets an idea of where everything is, going over chipper, bucket, and some other basics. I'm about 2 weeks behind their season start date at this point because of transitioning from my current job, but the owner had no problem with it.

I'm confident in myself being a quick learner and hard worker, but still feeling the pressure of actually making this leap. I'm going from 11 years behind a desk working with AutoCAD to starting completely new at production tree work. It's a big change and there's going to be a lot to take in. It's also a moderate pay cut for now, but I've crunched the numbers diligently. I'm a hockey player and I process 10-12 cords per year on my own to burn and sell, so I'm not lazy, but I'm sure I'll need a few weeks to break-in before I'm used to the physical work every day.

I'm looking to put my time in on the ground and hopefully advance to learning to climb as time/experience allows. I'll also be looking to get my CDL soon as well. I think the owner is the only one who has it right now. So there's a lot going on this year! Maybe I'll use this thread as a way to keep a journal of sorts. Any words of wisdom going into my first week are welcome and appreciated!

It sounds to me like your new boss is going to be getting the smartest, most knowledgeable newbee in history! You are going to be kicking butt and taking names! I get the feeling you might not be stuck on the ground for very long at all.

Tim

I had the same though.

Wish my apprentices were this prepared when they start out.

Back