Newbie - Starting Next Week

bootsmagee

Treehouser
Getting a little bit anxious counting down the last few days; after Easter Sunday this coming weekend I start as a brand new groundie. I've been homeowner/firewood treework experienced since I was a kid (bigger kid now, turning 34 this summer) and decided about a year ago that I want to learn to climb. I know some things, but technically zero professional/production tree work experience. Between then and now I've been using these forums, Beranek's works, EducatedClimber, TheSchultzEffect, youtube, etc. to learn as much of the intellectual side as possible.

I wanted to learn the right way, so I started by searching ISA for local Certified guys, talked to many different Arborists about my situation and things in general, and zero'd in on a smaller sized but seemingly high quality operation close to me. We did an "intro" day a few weeks ago, just reorganizing the truck so everyone gets an idea of where everything is, going over chipper, bucket, and some other basics. I'm about 2 weeks behind their season start date at this point because of transitioning from my current job, but the owner had no problem with it.

I'm confident in myself being a quick learner and hard worker, but still feeling the pressure of actually making this leap. I'm going from 11 years behind a desk working with AutoCAD to starting completely new at production tree work. It's a big change and there's going to be a lot to take in. It's also a moderate pay cut for now, but I've crunched the numbers diligently. I'm a hockey player and I process 10-12 cords per year on my own to burn and sell, so I'm not lazy, but I'm sure I'll need a few weeks to break-in before I'm used to the physical work every day.

I'm looking to put my time in on the ground and hopefully advance to learning to climb as time/experience allows. I'll also be looking to get my CDL soon as well. I think the owner is the only one who has it right now. So there's a lot going on this year! Maybe I'll use this thread as a way to keep a journal of sorts. Any words of wisdom going into my first week are welcome and appreciated!

Welcome Boots, my advice as a relatively later starter (30)

You learn something everyday, whether you know it or not, be it mundane info, like how different woods smell to more complex stuff.

I still remember advice my old boss said to me 24 years ago. He was a twat mind you, but he knew his job.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Mick!

Yes I have read the Groundman checklist! Actually not long ago I was looking at the original thread when it was being put together.

Sounds like you've laid out a good foundation for learning tree work the right way. Good on you!

I am impressed with your plan. Just listen to your inner voice...other folks can get you hurt in a hurry. You will not realize some situations are dangerous I suspect. Analyze settings to see what can go wrong. Today my son and I were setting a pull line from the ground in the top of a dead pine probably 70 feet up...I was about 60 feet away. He pulled the line to set the running bowline...it popped a 16 inch long 2 inch diameter limb loose. It homed in on me like a drone. I ducked/dodged as he hollered (or I heard the pop...don't remember which) but I clearly saw the whirling piece homed in on me. My 6 inch dodge left saved a head hit. I thought I was in a safe zone...not.

Good luck.

Well done Boots, I too was a late starter to tree work (36) but I did have 15 years of landscaping experience behind me...sounds like you have prepared yourself as well as you can and have a realistic outlook for what it to come.
Yes, your body will be is a heap of pain initially as different muscles get used for longer than you've been used to! Hot baths, massage
Yes, you will be a bit baffled by some of the things you will see. Think it through, ask questions (at the right time!)

Think ahead, expand your personal safety zone 'look' and think a few steps ahead in your work, try not to get tunnel vision. Gary's example is classic, he heard it before he saw it and that was enough for him to begin to duck and avoid injury.

Exciting, a bit daunting, so YES, come back here and let us know how you are going!
There is a Sticky in the Climbing Forum called Beginners Tree Climbing Tips....have you found that before?

Learn everything you can about trees. Not only are they amazing but having a working knowledge of biomechanics and biologically unique attributes will allow you to do what your climbing skills get you in position to do.
After all, people are not paying you to climb but to do tree work.

Your physical and mental state will determine the results so take care of yourself and get your mind right!

Buy good boots, can't say enough about the importance of good boots.

Welcome to the house. There are several newbies on here including myself. There is a lot to learn and most of it can be found here!

Thanks for all the fast replies and words of wisdom; I appreciate all of it. I've still got some paperwork to fill out, so Friday morning the boss asked to potentially meet in the morning to do that, followed by some maintenance/training. He definitely seems diligent with setting aside time for training and group maintenance on equipment, which I think is great.

Yes! I planned on it, but things like that are actually good advice for me. The in's and out's of the jobsite work schedule/lifestyle is something that I'm not used to, but I'm looking forward to it. I've been cooped up inside all day for too long.

There is a Sticky in the Climbing Forum called Beginners Tree Climbing Tips....have you found that before?

Bermy, yes I have looked over that Sticky in my free time. I will definitely go back to it and re-read soon.

Also kind of interesting, the boss also hired a second new guy for this season who has a bit of climbing experience already. He was looking for someone because one of the guys who was his second climber the past few years isn't going to be back this season. He's from Tasmania and went home over the winter to visit his family. I guess he's staying for the time being.

Learn everything you can about trees. Not only are they amazing but having a working knowledge of biomechanics and biologically unique attributes will allow you to do what your climbing skills get you in position to do.
After all, people are not paying you to climb but to do tree work.

Thanks, DMc. What part of MT are you from? I love Missoula, it's one of my favorite places I've visited out West so far.

Buy good boots, can't say enough about the importance of good boots.

I got a great deal on a new pair of Scafell Lite's off of Ebay. I wanted something with toe protection at this stage. I've put maybe 10 hours into them doing work around my property. I like them so far, as long as I keep them snug so my heel doesn't lift/rub.

Pack enough food and water that you don't run out before you make it home at night.

Never really on someone blindly for you safety.

If you're not sure ask.
If you aren't sure if you can do it safely/ something is safe enough, Don't do it. Stop and ask.
Always easier to do things right the first time.
Easier and cheaper to not break most stuff than fixing it.

My motto: start organized, stay organized.

Welcome and good luck.

As far as advice goes there is lots to be found on the TH.

I would say though, always be busy. There is always something to do. If you are not sure ask, but initiative is one of the best attributes you can have.

Oh, and laugh when the gaffer laughs!

If your boss doesn't provide drinking water, find another job.

I ain't working for someone who doesn't provide water for the crew.

That one thing will tell you what type of boss you have.

When we were going over chipper/truck basics I did notice one of the large "gatorade" style water coolers on the side of the truck. So I'm assuming that's taken care of.

... Thanks, DMc. What part of MT are you from? I love Missoula, it's one of my favorite places I've visited out West so far...

About 30 miles south of Missoula. I will also second what Rich said about laughing. It will not only help you but all those around you.

Just remember that it's up to the CREW to prepare the drinking water every day, not the boss.

All the boss needs to do is provide a faucet and a means to get ice.

Yep. Bosses are legally required to provide a source of potable water in site, not always convenient.

Bringing your own shows preparation. You can handle am 8 pound gallon, or at least a quart bottle.

We are sometimes a long way from the truck, ymmv.

Back