The Mendocino Coast

Isn't Bodega bay pretty much on top of the San Andreas fault?

Seems a strange place for a nuclear reactor.

:) Thanks on the badge possibility.

Yes stig, exactly on top of the San Andreas Fault according to geologists.

"Oh ok then, lets stop digging", said Pacific Gas and Electric. After tons of pressure from people who cared.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bodega Head is on the west side of the San Andreas fault, and it's granite, which does not exist on the east side of the fault, least not until you get down to southern Cali where it started its northward journey, millions of years ago.

Construction of the reactor began in earnest before the kabash was put on it, and today there's a big 'Hole in the Head" where the proposed site was planned. A couple of the organizers of the protests against the reactor mysteriously died, too.

No, we have the movie on vhs though, but no way to play it anymore. I once bought Jerry a t-shirt that has the kids running down the hill scene, which I am in. I was 9 years old. They chose a half dozen local kids to be in the movie as part of the agreement of filming in Bodega Bay. I had to do a real screen test. I don't know why I was chosen out of 40 kids but I was. We ran down and walked back up that hill for 3 days straight, then spent 2 days filming in the old schoolhouse. Everyday we ate our meals with Hitchcock, Tippi Hedren, Suzanne Pleshett and Rod Taylor. They treated us well, especially Hitchcock, he liked kids. It was quite a thrill to be part of that movie. I was paid a total of $50 plus change for the whole thing. A lot of money for a kid back in 62. I still have my pay stubb from Universal Studios.

Yeah, all the history around here is very interesting to me.

Looking at the pictures of the town of Mendocino I was wishing I had a picture of photos I saw on the wall in a business up there. A schooner being loaded with lumber and big wooden derricks to facilitate it. You look out into the cove/bay now and there is no way I would guess that save for the huge steel rings curiously anchored in the rocks.

Mendocino

Now speaking of Mendocino, it's next on the list. There's a 3 mile loop-drive around the town with lots of rocky coves, bluffs, beaches and pullouts to park your car along the way. Terri works at the Savings Bank there, and she drives the loop every morning. There are endless view points. These are a few

From the north is the Jack Peters Creek view, and then the many views following around the headlands. All the way to Big River Beach.

DSC08159.jpg DSC06662.jpg DSC08075.jpg DSC01272.jpg .

Mendocino Headlands

This run of pics didn't come out in order. Oh, well.

Mendocino Headlands is chock-full of nooks and Crannies. The pic of the the wave breaking over the rock, well the rock is called the 'Old Man', and that wave is well over 100 feet tall.

mendo hedlnds 001.jpg DSC09293.jpg DSC08144.jpg DSCF8335.jpg DSCF1577.jpg DSCF1578.jpg DSC07904.jpg DSCF0901.jpg DSC04380.jpg DSC09625.jpg

When did Mendocino change from being a logging/fishing town to the somewhat gentryfied and touristy town it is today.

In the 60s the artists and new pioneers moved up from the cities. Land was cheap. Alternative life style and returning to the land was the new thing. Some called them Hippys, but they weren't really the stereotype.

Good info, Merle, thanks.

Great pics and stories Gerry and Terry!

Navarro

Navarro is 20 miles south of Ft. Bragg. I've mentioned before, somewhere, that Navarro is just another creek along the Mendocino Coast, and like all the creeks here there was a lumber mill at Navarro. As beaches go Navarro is one of my favs, mainly because it's mouth opens and closes with the tides, and the driftwood beach changes all the time. It's dynamic. The whole beach can completely change from day to day. And it's a migratory stop-over for a lot of sea birds, too.

Enjoy, Navarro.

DSC00032.jpg DSC00670.jpg DSC05614.jpg DSC01518.jpg nav mouth 003.jpg DSC09078.jpg

Navarro Beach

Navarro Beach. Everyday it's always different. Something changes. The mouth, the driftwood, the birds, and the weather. Some days warm and sunny and the next cold and foggy.

DSC00685.jpg DSC00242.jpg DSC00125.jpg DSC01522.jpg DSC01924.jpg DSC08663.jpg DSCF3096.jpg IMG_9978.jpg

The two shots with the birds are really striking. And the last shot of the surf... An amazing place...thanks.

Pinnacle Rock

Pinnacle Rock. The mouth of the Navarro normally flows out near Pinnacle Rock, but changes. Now Pinnacle Rock can sometimes be in the ocean, on the beach or in the river. All depending on how the sand /beach moves by the wave action of the surf.

IMG_0592.jpg DSC02629.jpg DSC09612.jpg IMG_0601.jpg

Mouth of the Navarro

The mouth, or spit, of the Navarro River changes with seasonal flows, and it changes by the action of the waves building and tearing down the beach, and it also changes with the tides. 2 each day. And so, from day to day, you never know what the mouth of the Navarro is going to be like.

nav mouth 001.jpg IMG_0636.jpg DSCF4784.jpg DSC05409.jpg

Back