The Mendocino Coast

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hern Gulch

Hern Gulch is a small cove / beach located on the Mendocino Coast approximately 50 miles south of Ft. Bragg. Or 10 miles north of the Sonoma County line.

Spring / summer wild flowers are particularly nice here. On blustery days the beach is protected. It's almost always a warm and cozy place to get away from the wind.

Much the same can be said for so many of the small coves along the coast. But access at Hern Gulch is fairly easy and safe, as most others you can only get to by rope. And that gets dicey at some.

DSCF0714.jpg DSCF0717.jpg DSC05462.jpg hern glch 002.jpg IMG_4248.jpg hg 020.jpg hern glch 001.jpg DSC07450.jpg DSCF9896.jpg

xZjsxHn.gif

That fellow with the red daypack sure looks familiar:)

I though so too, Stig :).

That's an absolutely beautiful nook, Jer. We really don't have much in that vein along the Oregon coast...almost all the beaches are open to the sea, very few coves at all.

The reason that pack never left my side is simply that I had over 5 grand in it in cash.
I always travel with cash so that red daypack is never out of my sight.
I'm sure Burnham noticed the same thing, when I spent time with him.

I just showed Margot all the pictures, Gerry.
She really enjoyed them.
The inland dwelling Swiss always get a kick out of the ocean, and the Pacific coast was just the most beautiful she'd ever seen.
Now she can't wait to go back.

Jefferson Way

Jefferson Way is a public access point along the Mendocino Coast some 3 miles south of Ft. Bragg. It amounts to about a mile long stretch of coastline with a half a dozen coves and small beaches that are accessible mostly / safely by rope. Most people just walk along the bluffs here. Seldom do you see anyone on the beaches.

DSC01353.jpg DSC01354.jpg DSCF1971.jpg mitch crk 004.jpg DSCF8648.jpg DSC02261.jpg IMG_6538.jpg

Juan Creek

Juan Creek is Lands End for Hwy 1.

Here highway 1 turns inland and doesn't make it back to the coast until you get to Eureka, 100 miles north. In-between is what's called the 'Lost Coast'. Very remote sections of coastline few people ever see.

Anyway Juan Creek is kind of a Sunday-drive turn-around point for a lot of folk that live on the coast. It's about 20 mile north of Ft. Bragg. Good way to kill a Sunday afternoon driving there and back.

Tragedy struck here a few days a ago. A Ford Explorer with 8 people drove off the bluff and all perished. Happens every year, actually, but generally not so many people at once. Terrible, terrible.

The first 3 images are looking south at Juan Creek from a pullout along the highway. The rest are views from Juan Creek looking north.

Attachments

• DSC07268.jpg
    DSC07268.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC08575.jpg
    DSC08575.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC07543.jpg
    DSC07543.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC09685.jpg
    DSC09685.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC01306.jpg
    DSC01306.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1865.jpg
    IMG_1865.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC04451.jpg
    DSC04451.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 29
Oh these pictures are fabulous, thanks so much for posting them Gerry...enjoying every single one.
Tragic about a car going over, do they just misjudge it?

Not paying attention, driving too fast, DUI, blow-out / mechanical failure, suicide. Like I said, "It happens all the time, but 8 at once is a first on the Mendo Coast. Terrible tragedy: 2 gals and 6 kids.

Gerry, I vaguely remember you explaining a photo manipulation technique where you spliced (not sure if that's the proper term) individual pictures together to make the perfect shot.

For example most of your pics have a clear representation of the local flora in the foreground which I'm sure could be attained the old fashioned way but you seem to be "nailing it" on every shot.

By no means am I insinuating this makes you less of an artist. On the contrary you've made some real magic with these photos regardless of the "how". Hats off to you.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

You're right, Ryan. During my early digital photoshop mania I cut and pasted things, like flowers and birds mostly, into these coastal scenes. Rest assured, the images in this series of pictures are all natural. When you catch a scene just right it really don't get any better fooling with it later, I learned. Well, other than lightness / contrast, color correction maybe... but no pasty anymore.

Thanks

Any tips you might toss out for someone wanting to explore the Lost Coast segment, Jerry? Melanie and I are big fans of that sort of hard to get to places. If it's the sort of thing where you'd have to kill me to tell me, forget it :). But if it's a keep this under your hat sort of situation, we could pm, maybe?

I've got a lost coast tip for you, Burnham.
Don't take the Jag.

Roads out there are in miserable shape.

Juan Creek South,, View North.

Anything you want to know about the Lost Coast can be found on the internet, B. There's a few county roads that will take you through there, but they are in terrible shape. Steep, brushy, rugged, and lot's of foot trails. Mostly logged over during the 50s thru 70s. Some old-growth left, but not much.

Now, there's a pullout along Highway 1 about 1 mile south of Juan Creek. As with most locations along the beautiful Mendocino coast here you will find a view looking north towards Juan Creek, and a view looking south towards Union Landing, and you could even say there's view out front, too.

DSC06810.jpg DSC00283.jpg DSCF5662.jpg DSC01285.jpg

The program mixed up the views, but either way, north / south, you should figure it out.

DSC05976.jpg DSC08490 mod.jpg DSC01309.jpg DSC07782.jpg IMG_1904.jpg DSC01701.jpg

Incredible photos of a mind blowing landscape,

Those shore/wave/inlet pics make me want to jump right in and freeze my nuts off!

It is amazing to me that in this day and age so much of the acreage in the photos looks buildable yet it is undeveloped. You'd think gazillionaires woulda swooped in and gathered it up for their own private Idaho.

Thanks, Rico. Some of these views might look familiar to you. Since you are only a few hours north of me. I have another collection of coast images, though a bit smaller, of Humboldt and Del Norte. Lots of the woods up there.

Cory, the powers that be have managed quite well to keep major developments down along the coast. Most of it is State Parks anyway, or managed by nature conservancies. Most people don't want to see it developed anymore than it is, and that's fine by me.

I've got a lost coast tip for you, Burnham.
Don't take the Jag.

Roads out there are in miserable shape.

That I could guess, Stig :). Definitely Subaru Forester country.

Thanks, Jer. I'll look around google for specifics.

Jerry, do you have any pictures of the rock up by Rockport that they blasted the top off and flattened, so they could use it as a platform for loading lumber onto Schooners?

Your pictures inspired me to take my copy of " Logging the Redwoods" by Carranco and Labbe down from the shelf, so I could have a look at how the coast looked back then.
Fun to see the mill at Albion back then and compare with your pictures.
Same goes for the trestle bridge by Fort Bragg.

When I showed that picture to Margot, she said: " Hey, that is the motel, where we stayed". Right behind the bridge to the left.

I really recommend this book to any of you who are interested in historical logging and want to see how the North coast looked back then: https://www.amazon.com/Logging-Redw...22491586&sr=1-1&keywords=logging+the+redwoods

Back