The Mendocino Coast

There are a lot of places along the California coast line called russian this or that.
Russian fur hunters were some of the first white men on the coast.

These coastal shots take me back to our short 8 month experiment living in Savannah, GA, about 18 years ago. There were pretty shells, but the coastline there was nothing like what I was accustomed to along the west coast.

For sure Mario; the S Eastern US coast, the US Gulf of Mexico coast...a big downer compared to the western coastal scenery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ten Mile River, Beach and Dunes

And there's more!

7 miles north of Ft. Bragg is the Ten Mile River. Although it should be called Ten Mile Creek. Either way it's still a pretty viewpoint along the coast, and the watershed holds a significant part of the logging history around these parts.

DSC02814.jpg ten mile 001.jpg ten mile 002.jpg

Just south of the Ten Mile River, along the coast is Ten Mile Beach. Although it's only about 5 miles long actually. Either way it's also another pretty view point along the coat. Once in the dunes it's like you're in the Sahara Desert. There's no other place along the Mendocino Coast like it.

DSCF1672.jpg DSCF6196.jpg DSCF6203.jpg DSCF6137.jpg DSC00472.jpg DSCF6144.jpg

Lots of neat patterns and perspectives in the dunes. Every time the wind blows the dunes and the patterns in the sand change.

DSCF1693.jpg DSCF1689.jpg

OK...not many places on the planet would tempt me to move from my beloved PNW Cascade mountains...but hellfire, you are showing me temptation, Jer :).

UNION LANDING

Sticking with alphabetical order... next we have Union Landing. Located approximately 16 miles north of Ft. Bragg between Westport and Juan Creek. The state took over this stretch of coastline during the early 70s, and through the years they slowly developed camp sites and what-not. Today, about the only difference, at Union Landing, is you have to pay to camp there.

DSC01715.jpg DSCF2969.jpg IMG_0957.jpg DSC06820.jpg

WAGE'S CREEK

Immediately south of Union Landing is Wage's Creek, where you will find yet another campground, but this one is private, and has a lot more amenities.

These views of Wage's Creek were captured from a pullout on the highway, and whenever the weather, or something, is right I'll stop and capture the view.

DSC05979.jpg DSC08428.jpg DSC08513.jpg

WESTPORT and Pete's Beach

One-half mile south of Wage's Creek is Westport and in-between is Pete's Beach. A quaint little beach, a couple hundred yards long, generally steep, black sand beach. It's also a blind beach, which means, if a big wave comes in there's no getting away from it. Beware!

Now, looking at that driftwood log on Pete's Beach... it had some really neat wood grain exposed.

DSC04309.jpg DSCF0148.jpg DSCF0160.jpg DSCF0165.jpg

Below: low tide exposes large boulders at Pete's Beach.

DSCF0183.jpg

I see what looks like Pampas and Croscosmia which are invasives, but I tend to like the Crocosmia anyway. In one photo recent, there were yellow flowers. Is that the wild mustard or something else? It adds a nice spot of color.

In my travels I often pause to imagine what it would look / be like absent of invasive species. I'm so use to seeing them it's hard to imagine them not being here.

Back