The Mendocino Coast

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dehaven Creek is about 1.5 miles north of Westport. Unless otherwise noted most of these views are looking south. In a few shots you can actually see Westport. Essentially all of the immediate beachfront property is state parks. Called Union Landing State Beach. There a lot of good view points through here. Dehaven is 1.

DSC02113.jpg IMG_1997.jpg DSC04403.jpg DSC01570.jpg DSC08509.jpg

Elk Area

Elk is a particularly scenic area along the Mendocino Coast. Located 25 miles south of Ft. Bragg. Traveling south on Highway 1, the first view just before Elk is called Cuffy's Cove.

Cuf cove 028.jpg cuffy pano 8-15.jpg DSC03463.jpg DSC06879.jpg DSC09634.jpg IMG_0248.jpg

Jaw dropping pictures!

Hows the fishing in all that cold Pacific waters?

Fishing is still pretty good, actually. Despite being much more restricted than it was,,, say 40 years ago. Any avid sportsman living on the coast would not go hungry.

Makes my weak offerings of the southern Oregon coast in pictures seem pretty sad.

That Elk/Coffy's Cove run is beyond stunning, Jerry.

M and I need to get down that way for some serious exploring/camping/hiking.

Elk

It's quite literally Lands End. North or south, either direction you go you see the same views, and it's different every day. I always try to catch the views when there's some kind of weather phenomena.

Elk is 25 miles south of Ft. Bragg. Once a logging town also. Pictured below is Elk Cove. They loaded schooners right off the beach here, and right around the corner, too.

DSC04110.jpg DSC01587.jpg elk cove 006.jpg DSC08211.jpg DSC09080.jpg DSC09647.jpg

Here's some other angles on Elk. You can see how the town sets on the bluffs pretty good. The population maybe 200. Mostly bleeding heart liberals. But there's still remnants of old blood that remembers the old town, and the way things used to be, but fewer all the time.

elk 002.jpg elk 001.jpg elk cove 029.jpg DSC01915.jpg

Elk Creek

Elk Creek. This location is 2 miles south of Elk. There's a 3 tier switchback to make it to the top. Steeper than it looks. On frosty mornings traffic stops going uphill, can't make the switchbacks. And it can't stop on the way down. Gets pretty tricky sometimes.

DSC09649.jpg DSC01282.jpg DSC01586.jpg DSC01410.jpg DSCF0792.jpg DSCF0825.jpg

Those pictures are so great, Gerry.
I really like the ones that are the same subject in different ligh and weather condition.

You ought to do a book on the Mendocino coast.

I'm really sitting here now, looking at your pictures, with a bit of winter blues and cabin fever and thinking about how grand it was to ride the motorcycles up the coast.
Really expensive, but afterwards both Richard and I felt it had been worth evey dime.

Ft. Bragg

This next set of ocean views is right in Ft. Bragg. To the west of Main Street. There's the Coast Guard Tender. Tends the Bouys every year. Pudding Creek Trestle.

DSCF3571.jpg IMG_6059.jpg DSCF3756.jpg DSC02163.jpg IMG_5901.jpg pud crk 003.jpg IMG_7054.jpg

Grand View

Living on the coast you get lots of fog, Gary.

This next set of pics is Grand View. It's north of Elk a just a few miles. The rock in the images is the same as you seen at Cavanagh Grade. Just a little farther north is all. The bluffs here are close to 200 feet.

DSC00629.jpg DSC00726.jpg DSC00760.jpg DSC01737.jpg DSC04105.jpg DSC09258.jpg elk nrth a 006.jpg elk nrth a 025.jpg

Back