The Mendocino Coast

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Immediately south of Pt. Arena Light is the Stornetta Public Lands. About 2 miles of ocean front. A few of you may remember I posted these pics before. But I think there's a new one or two in the bunch. Pasture lands, sandstone bluffs to 60-70 feet high, and few waterfalls along the way.

The orange coloring on the rock is a lichen.

IMG_0293.jpg IMG_0298.jpg Blm medow 002.jpg Blm cove 006.jpg BLM falls 002.jpg Blm falls 008.jpg IMG_0380.jpg DSCF3078.jpg

The coastal photos are refreshing. I went to the ocean a lot with my parents when I was young. About 1.5 hours from Portland area. Years later, I still drove down monthly in my 20s and first 15 years of marriage. I think we will be going on more ocean drives after a couple years passes and we figure out what parts of the coast to spend a couple days at a time at.

Lighthouses are cool.

I have never seen one in the wild, but I think I would like them.

They look lonely.

I was up in the Point Arena light house with a group of 15 or so people listening to the tour. It was a windy day and between the wind and people climbing stairs I could feel the old building moving and swaying. Creeped me out, I got down as soon as the talk was over. (It's going to crumble some day.)

Russian Gulch

Russian Gulch is yet another State Park along the Mendocino Coast. It is located approximately 6 miles south of Ft. Bragg. Fairly good size, 1000 acres or so, extending inland to the head of the small watershed there. There is another Russian Gulch in Sonoma County, much smaller, just a beach, I think.

rush glch 001.jpg rush glch 002.jpg 262.jpg DSCF8440.jpg

And then, to the north of Russian Gulch, there is the Pt. Cabrillo Light. Don't forget it.

DSC01040.jpg

You've sure been capturing some nice clouds and mist in these photos you are sharing. Sure flatters the west coast.

SCHOONER GULCH

Now here we have Schooner Gulch. Located on the beautiful Mendocino Coast between the towns of Gualala and Point Arena, which would put it at approximately State Highway milepost marker 12.

Schooner gulch hosts some unusual geologic features not found elsewhere along the coast. The parent rock is low grade ancient marine sedimentary deposits: cracked and tilted with concretions, and it forms the locally famous Bowling Ball Beach.

These bluffs are composed of soft, mostly crumbly, parent material, and erosion is high along the beach from wind and waves.

DSCF8910.jpg DSCF3052.jpg DSCF3227.jpg DSCF3369.jpg DSCF3793.jpg DSCF3797.jpg DSCF3765.jpg DSCF9225.jpg

These last ones are some of your best...cool cliffs...bowling balls and 10' round upthrusts that Mrs. B is perusing...wonderful.

Back