Favorite Chainsaw 'Builders' list

I can't weld, but soldering is approachable. How about gills? Might eliminate the need for an addon deflector.
Depends on whether or not it will burn the plastic. Or whether or not that will bother you. Lol. Or could carve that plastic out of the way. But sure, it’ll work

How much of a hole would you make in the muffler? I’d imagine it could go too large (no back pressure for the engine)

upload_2021-3-3_17-55-54.png
I've got several year's on
Ported zoo city saws 268/272/372s x2
Ported Stumpshot saws 266/268
Beaglebriar ported 2172 I don't know if he's porting anymore
And a mike lee 288 I don't think he's porting anymore either.
But I can recommend any of these guy's to build a very strong saw.
I've heard good things about huskihl and rattler
But I have enough ported and regular saws to last me a lifetime.
Opeforum has a good porter/builder review thread
That'll tell you some to go to and some to avoid.

@BIGTWIG runs about 15 of my saws including a 2511. Carl has a couple of mine as well. There may be more here that have run my stuff but I’m not familiar with their screen names.

I’d be careful with Ripsaw. They don’t actually do any port work. They hire other guys from outside of their company. Just a middle man
That's a strange business model
They farm out port work to random porter's
To pass off as thier own work
I know what the wait times is for a busy/lazy porter
What if there is a issue with the saw? and
I was told they charge far above what the average porter charges
Then they wait for the saws to ship to and from porter to ripoff saw then to the customer
I guess it makes them happy.

That's a strange business model
They farm out port work to random porter's
To pass off as thier own work
I know what the wait times is for a busy/lazy porter
What if there is a issue with the saw? and
I was told they charge far above what the average porter charges
Then they wait for the saws to ship to and from porter to ripoff saw then to the customer
I guess it makes them happy.
I agree. Flashy advertising has folks sending them saws left and right, with no idea of what’s going to happen to their saw or who is doing the work. They advertise huge gains in power but I know of several that didn’t run any better than stock

I agree. Flashy advertising has folks sending them saws left and right, with no idea of what’s going to happen to their saw or who is doing the work. They advertise huge gains in power but I know of several that didn’t run any better than stock
They are probably keeping Jason Stratton in business.

I keep reading across the web that most of the power comes from the exhaust modification so I’ve been curious about power performance with all of the other work people do to saws
So I dunno if squish can be cut on a 2511, I’ve not been in one. @huskihl would know.

Just general info for everyone…
“Ported” is a very broad term. Porter’s skills and results vary as much as tree guys. Simply making the ports larger and hacking out the muffler usually won’t add a whole lot. This is what you’re looking for:

I keep reading across the web that most of the power comes from the exhaust modification so I’ve been curious about power performance with all of the other work people do to saws
It’s easy to gain hp by raising the exhaust way up, but that comes with a loss in torque. A good work saw to me is one with an increase both hp and torque over a wider rpm range

@huskihl do you normally cut squish in a 2511? Haven’t forgot about getting you to build me one. Just had a lot going on lately. What are some normal squish numbers for that saw?

@huskihl do you normally cut squish in a 2511? Haven’t forgot about getting you to build me one. Just had a lot going on lately. What are some normal squish numbers for that saw?
I’ve done it both ways. They are more snappy with the added compression, but even stock they’re at 180 psi or so, so just a gasket delete gets close to 200.

Last edited:
Hey hulk,
I think tinmans ‘how to port a chainsaw’ series gives a good idea about what a standard woods port might look like. The secret recipe some of these pro builders have figured out for certain saws is probably way better, but good luck getting info out of them 😀

Thanks Brock! I’ve been watching a lot of tinmans videos and learning from him. Haven’t seen that one yet so thanks for the info! I have a ms440 and ms460 as barn finds that look to be good internally so imma rebuild and eventually play with porting them. I’m gonna get huskihl to build me a 2511 eventually. Just deep in the middle of paying off debt and trying to buy a house next year plus work seems to be slowing down with the recession affecting our area. Scared to drop a grand on a saw that isn’t critically needed if work will be drying up soon

Yeah Sean. I’m not required to but my boss takes care of anything my saws need. Sometimes I just want my modded 500i or 261 at the job. I’m more protective over the 500, normally I don’t mind bringing the 261 to work on a daily and it normally becomes my second in tree saw if I need to buck down more of the spar before I can drop it

My boss supplies me with everything I need and will still hand me large bonuses on a regular. I can take his equipment on the weekend and go make myself $3000-$4000 with his machinery doing side jobs. He takes great care of me and wants to see me grow and eventually have my own business. I have everything I need in chainsaws to make my job efficient. I don’t mind buying saws and investing my own money because I will have them for the next however many years making myself the money. If you consider how many years we can get out of a saw and how much it makes us, there really not that expensive.

Back