Favorite Chainsaw 'Builders' list

SeanKroll

Treehouser
Could people point out good work saw 'builders' that they know, please? Any details such as long wait-times. good values, locations, other considerations helpful.

Also, guys to avoid.

Thanks.

"That they know" is a missing here for me. But Saw King at Myrtle Creek Saw shop does a great job of representing himself on youtube about builds and knowledge on troubleshooting/repairs etc. He refers to West Coast Build a lot on hoping up a saw.

August and Bixler have had him do saws. August has video about it.

Scott Kunz is a stihl dealer in WI. Trustworthy and does some good work saw porting and race saw port work. Have info if needed.

So know he could build a stocker right too. ;)

PM coming with his 2 numbers to call. Tell him I sent ya.

Gary Hunt near Roseberg Oregon did a 660 for me a few years ago and not only has it held up well it is awesome!!!

I am getting ready to have a friend do a 661. He will send it to a machine shop to have the crank work done and he will do piston, cylinder and timing work. He has done a few of the 661’s and they are getting good reviews.

If this interests you I will get phone numbers posted?

Wondering same thing on the 661 crank. Never heard anyone having to do anything to crank on a work saw.

A 660 from Scott Kunz work saw.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6mq44_MFmRo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

661 with 10T p

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mGPk6vAdif8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They cut some grooves in it which builds a small amount of pressure. That’s the best I can remember from the description I was given.

I remember some folks having vanes cut into cranks out west years and years ago. Never needed IMO race or work.

I sent an email to Saw King today after speaking with a girl at his store. Hoping to get him to build me a saw and ship it to me. Haven't had a good builder since Timberwolf Brian disappeared many years ago. Time to start replacing some of the old saws.

Seen sawkings work local, I would pass. Try Scott Kunz in WI. He is a stihl dealer and knows his chit inside and out like Brian did.

Just got off the phone with Scott. Seems he's not taking on any new work for a while, too backed up. He did say that he knew Timberwolf Brian and that Brian just got burned out on saws and moved on. Glad to know nothing bad happened to him as I have always wondered.

Anyway, going to call him back in a month or two and see if I can get a saw on his bench.

Thats good to hear about Brian. Can see the burn out thing happening porting saws.

Just trying to save you some disappointed with that other guy you were thinking about. One of my friends used him for some work, before he knew I messed with saws, he didnt get a extra cylinder, piston and coil back from him one time either.

Sorry to hear that. I have had it in the back of my mind to put $1500 into a new hopped up 372 XP as soon as I was past a few more big truck expenses.

Why so much cost on a 372? Someone over charging? Just wondering Merle.
I sold this one that was built to the gills for $1200.

h376.jpg

You can buy a new 372 for $800 or $900.

When asked for a recommendation between the 372 and 576, Scott said the Stihl 461 was the only non stratofied saw left in that size range and they would be discontinued soon. So this afternoon I went down to my Stihl dealer and bought one (and another MS150 also). Just got done fixing the mufflers on both saws. Need to find the part number for the high output oiler (west coast version) if anybody has it for the 461. I used to have the numbers years ago and bought several but that was 3-4 computers ago.

Dealer on my site was selling the 372 for $699 and local dealer had them for $719.

Not that I am a builder by any means as the guy's mentioned in this thread, but I play with my saws to learn and have fun. I can't let others take my fun..
I need all fun I can get.

I ran my new hopped 661 for the first time yesterday and it’s a beast. Great throttle response and tons of low end torque!!!
It’s the one on the far side, I know... it doesn’t look modified.

2B85903C-9906-4B03-8FE9-FE6F614E19E0.jpg

So I'm not the only one to like the Stihl light bars.

Back