Velcro Foot Straps for Spikes

My gut says to pass over them, but I'm curious what everyone else's opinion is.

Sawdust doesn't work very well with velcro.

Get them! They are a vast improvement in both comfort and security.

Yep.
My carbon geckoes have velcro straps, they've always worked fine.

Mine has a different buckle than what that picture shows and the plastic on the tip of the strap needed to be trimmed a little for it to pass through smoothly. That should not be a problem with the ones you pictured.

My initial reaction is similar to Butch's...fouling with sawdust may cause problems as time goes on. But I respect these other fellow's opinions.

That's interesting. Since some knowledgeable people are happy with them I wonder if there is something different about some velcro (hook and loop).

I have several tree related items that are velcro and barely workable after a while. Even an Ergovation harness I have has the chest strap plugged up.

Love mine! And they are wider than the rubberized ones giving you a larger contact area on your foot.

I just got some, used them twice, if I pull them too tight it pushes the shank back and the stirrup ends up under my heel...but then my top pads are crap...the top of the shank wobbles all over the place so it's not the fault of the lower straps. That, and my tiny feet.
No problem with sawdust so far, and I've dumped a bunch on them

If you have an air compressor then you can hit the Velcro with your air nozzle once in a while to clean out sawdust. Also make a habit of storing them with the Velcro secured instead of open and exposed. I had the Velcro top wraps on my gaffs for years and always stored them with the Velcro wrapped up. Never had any issue with sawdust as they were only exposed when I was putting them on.

Glad for this thread.

I thought about getting some, but had the same sawdust concern.

I'm sorta in-between a lot of sizes, including lower straps. Love the Velcro wraps up top. Underwear largely comes 28-30, 32-34, etc. What about 31's? Am I supposed to have a belt for underwear as well as pants? Saddles should always overlap 2" between sizes, I think. Thankfully, there are half-sizes in most shoes, but not those kevlar boots (Labonville?).

If you have an air compressor then you can hit the Velcro with your air nozzle once in a while to clean out sawdust. Also make a habit of storing them with the Velcro secured instead of open and exposed. I had the Velcro top wraps on my gaffs for years and always stored them with the Velcro wrapped up. Never had any issue with sawdust as they were only exposed when I was putting them on.

This is excellent advice.

I've been running them on my geckos for about 6 months. I have nothing bad to say about them. Worth every penny in terms of comfort and ease of use.

I just got some, used them twice, if I pull them too tight it pushes the shank back and the stirrup ends up under my heel...but then my top pads are crap...the top of the shank wobbles all over the place so it's not the fault of the lower straps. That, and my tiny feet.
No problem with sawdust so far, and I've dumped a bunch on them

Are you making a wrap add a half around the stirrup/ shank?

Are you making a wrap add a half around the stirrup/ shank?

I'm experimenting...tried this too, but I'm a little leery because I start to run out of 'sticky surface' and the tag at the end finishes up just where it would be easy for it to peel off when caught by anything...almost right over the shank on the inside.

I'll figure it out, a good set of pads is the answer I reckon, just haven't had the guts to pick ONE and drop over $100...would have liked to be able to put my hands on them first, not just go by a picture on the internet.

Bermy, I have been using the DMM gecko for almost 2 years now with velcro top and bottom and have been kicking myself for not getting them sooner. They are superior in every way to anything else I have tried. They are adjustable in height ( though not sure they would fit ultra dinky and dainty ) and the shin cups can be angled to exactly fit your legs by moving just one screw on each side.

I'm experimenting...tried this too, but I'm a little leery because I start to run out of 'sticky surface' and the tag at the end finishes up just where it would be easy for it to peel off when caught by anything...almost right over the shank on the inside.

I'll figure it out, a good set of pads is the answer I reckon, just haven't had the guts to pick ONE and drop over $100...would have liked to be able to put my hands on them first, not just go by a picture on the internet.

I've got a set of older geckos with tree spikes I'm not using, I'll send them to you for a trial if you want. Shoot me a pm

Back