"NoThanks"

When I read Bixlers comment I assumed he was referring to some form of backlash from coming in with a much higher price than others. Word of mouth badmouthing, negative internet post etc.

I have a potential customer at the moment, one of my neighbours. He wishes me to remove 15 trees, chip on site and log up the stems for firewood.

It will require a tracked chipper and at least 2 days with three skilled staff on site. 5 of the trees are on the front boundary and have utilities cables running 6 inches from the trunk. They will need rigging and then dragging back in to chip, there is a lot to damage. Mighty tight drop zone. I have already told him I am not about to enter a race to the bottom. He has already asked me to justify my price... the lowest was a builder who they offered the work to the low baller. Turned out he can't do it.

Now he has contacted me whilst I am away with the next closest offer. It is 400 quid difference on a 3800 quid job... obviously I have converted to pounds but the job is in Norway.

The next closest guy is a part timer. I reduced the cost to meet in the middle, I'm not prepared to really go any lower but now they are asking if I can reduce the cost further and use some Polish labourers who are working on the property.

That isn't happening. I have already offered to reduce the price to do less work, which aspect doesn't he want me to do etc?

I am getting the feeling he is just pushing it and I am at the point of liking a challenge but really want to tell him to do one and use the part timer.

I really want to see had a 70foot spruce through his roof and a load of cables down.

Any suggestions Mick?

He is a lawyer, so I can guess what Brian will say.

I feel that if he is this much trouble at this point the. What is he gonna be like when it comes to signing the job as complete and getting payment.

Advice? Ignore anything a self styled guru (like me) might say!

The argumentative client’s trees were due to be done Friday, however the hired man’s wife was rushed to hospital so I delayed it till Monday, Friday afternoon they cancelled citing the usual nonsense.

Waste of time and charm (not an abundant resource with me)

:) No worries.

I ended up sending him this reply... I think it sums up where I am coming from. If he is trying it on then so be it. I am not playing the game any more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi ...?...?...,

Having looked over your questions, I think regardless of whether NT are hiring a chipper or own one already they will have to cover the cost of the machinery. They just haven't highlighted the fact. If I could get my wheeled chipper in to the site I would still be charging for the use of it and the depreciation, it is all built into the costs of running the business.

Using a wood chipper is by far the most efficient and cost effective way or disposing the branches. There is no way even 2-3 of the labourers you mentioned would be able to cut, load and stack a truck in the time it would take to chip that volume of branches involved in the job. You would then have to factor in the cost of their wages, plus vehicle and then tipping fees.

As for using them as opposed to qualified experienced tree workers? The job in general has enough risks involved without increasing them. Firstly, the trees on the front boundary will require some rigging to safely get them down with the cables on one side and properties on the other. I cannot see how using less skilled people would reduce the costs as it would just take longer for the job to be completed and safety would be compromised.

Lastly, my insurance would likely refuse to pay on a claim in the event of something happening, if they knew unskilled labour was being used.

Also, looking back at your previous email it looked like you have sent the wording and proposal from Nesodden Eindoms Service to NT. Therefore I will assume NT have not costed in the extra trees we discussed.

I would prefer to do the job as a whole as discussed and quoted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If he goes for it then I have a job 100metres from my house. If he doesn't go for it then I will have contract climbing work earning me as much or probably more than I would get from that job. Plus the contract climbing is less stress. Either way, I will be working. No biggie.

Wow nice email response to him. That would take me half a day to think up and write out something even approaching that nice. And if I could do that I would be a diplomat rather than an tree guy. :)

Seriously, if you did much bending over backwards to make things work for him I was going to ask you to keep track of things and tell us after the fact if it was worth it for you.

I just received an email saying he and his business partner were convinced and I have the job.

I aired on the side of caution initially and quoted high. I reduced it to 38600 NOK +tax. That would still give me plenty of profit Knocking the 2000Nok of the job still means I will make on it.

If I finish the job in 2 days, then all will be good and a day for myself to log up and finish things off. Still giving over 5000Nok per man per day.

It is more for the exposure I want. Working in the area I live, having only recently moved there, will help grow the business. Hopefully.

Offer to use his laborers, at double the price, for decreased productivity, and increased risk.

Of course, one of those polish workers will have to write up the legally binding contract, too.

Be aware that it takes a special mental Attitude to work with Polish labour.

Because they are never wrong.

It is the eastern European mentality of thinking they are the Alpha male even when they have a clue what they are on about...

Not all of them. Just the majority of the ones I have worked with over the years. Generally they are hard workers just always think they are right.

I won't be using them anyway.

I had to fire my Polish friend from a job once. The hardhead wouldn't listen to me and wanted to do it his way.

Yep.
Combine that with an inability to actually think for themselves and it takes a very Zen attitude not to get pissed off.

I had to fire my Polish friend from a job once. The hardhead wouldn't listen to me and wanted to do it his way.

My biggest gripe about employees, they think I need their comparatively limited experience to help me. Ground worker and Assistant Project Manager are not synonymous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because they are never wrong.

It is the eastern European mentality of thinking they are the Alpha male even when they have a clue what they are on about...

Not all of them. Just the majority of the ones I have worked with over the years. Generally they are hard workers just always think they are right.

I won't be using them anyway.

You can group millenials in there too, remove the generally hard workers part tho. Lol

My biggest gripe about employees, they think I need their comparatively limited experience to help me. Ground worker and Assistant Project Manager are not synonymous.

That is why I work with people I have trained myself.

Since they've all imprinted on me, our approach to a job is very much the same.

Cool doings, Rich. I like your reply to the lawyer client. Seems he was smart enough to see the wisdom of your response.

Rock on...some picts and after action report would be cool.

Back