"NoThanks"

I’m sure that’s what Bob was referring to Merle.

It was a decent thread about customer relations, hopefully it won’t turn into a anti liberal nonsense fest.

Bob can’t write a cheque without give it a political spin.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation Mick, I missed the point there.

On the topic of dealing with problem customers, if you were around me I would send them to you - in a good way. And I would enjoy knowing you can probably turn a high percentage of them to workable or good business.

For me, not liking that kind of thing, it just produces frustration. AND THEN keeping them around, they are going to tend to recommend me to people they know. Pretty soon I would have a higher and higher percentage of frustrating interactions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ahh, thanks for the explanation Mick, I missed the point there.

On the topic of dealing with problem customers, if you were around me I would send them to you - in a good way. And I would enjoy knowing you can probably turn a high percentage of them to workable or good business.

For me, not liking that kind of thing, it just produces frustration. AND THEN keeping them around, they are going to tend to recommend me to people they know. Pretty soon I would have a higher and higher percentage of frustrating interactions.

Your just the right now for these types of people, im looking for the always.

Was bidding this afternoon, interesting spectrum of clients.

1: Middle class client, instant rapport, good days work, removal and grinding, got it on the spot.

2: Slightly drunk “space invader” couple of removals, wanted to pay half what it was worth, offered cash, not worth it, got out quick.

3: Family at war, father wants to do the work (fir removal and some black locusts fallen down a ravine to be winched up and out) wife won’t let him (recent homeowner death in the paper through a chainsaw in the neck) daughters on her side.

He sees my presence as an affront to his manhood, won’t look at me, I’m on the point of walking out as they argue in the garden but stick it out.
So we move into the house so I can write the quote, much wringing of hands and mock horror at the price. A coffee is offered and accepted, things calm down, then I explain how I would do it with the tractor winch etc. There’s some nodding and acceptance, the conversation finishes with a nice chat about dogs and we part on good terms.

I’d like to tell you they gave me the job but they’ll think about it, I think the grown up daughters will work away at them and I’ll get it, maybe I won’t.

But it’ll be sweet if I do, and I enjoyed every minute.

Perfect example. Glad your out there in the world Mick.

I'm after your #1 client and interactions much closer to that.

Back to an earlier point in the thread, I work for $ and appreciation. If either is out of the equation I will be too.

they are going to tend to recommend me to people they know. Pretty soon I would have a higher and higher percentage of frustrating interactions.

For sure. Peeps tend to have friends similar to themselves. Cheap begets cheap, etc.

I?m on the point of walking out as they argue ..........I?ll get it, maybe I won?t.

But it?ll be sweet if I do, and I enjoyed every minute.

Well which is it- were you uncomfortable and about to walk out or did you enjoy every minute?

But anyway, yeah, couples that argue in front of you about the work are embarrassing.

I was going to walk out because I thought it was a waste of time, no mention of being uncomfortable.

When you played sport what were the most memorable victories? The easy ones or the unexpected/coming back from a losing position ones?

As far as Wedding Cake analogy goes ... As long as I feel it's not a good job for me I can pass , even putting in a bid if I choose. It's not based on gender , race , religion , blah blah blah.

... and now that I think of it I have gotten the job many times when other contractors looked and left without a price. So it's all good as the turn away based on my gut is pretty rare in the overall.

FWIW, and it doesn?t prove anything one way or another, I got the job from the argumentative clients today.

A grands worth of work, for a relatively easy day (and a cup of coffee and a chat about dogs)

A good truck dog can help sell a job.

Rupert was big and black. With the glare on the windshield, more than one, some who I was talking to at a bid said, "Oh, that's your dog behind the steering wheel, " leaning in closer to say, "I thought maybe that was your black helper in the truck."

I wonder how many people made that same mistake over the years, but didn't say anything.

and if you really don't want the job let the dog out to piss and shit on everything while you write up an expensive quote!

It's always been hard for me to turn down work but after a while you learn when to get out of there. I've tried high prices but that can backfire... the best way is probably to just admit it's not the right fit and apologize.

Hey, Bixler, if you don't mind my asking, how does it backfire? You end up getting a really high paying job that you did not want anyway, because you are the only guy who'd give them a quote? Wasn't the big paycheck worth the aggravation, or something? Does this mean that the quote should have been even higher, because they were more of a pain in the neck than even your overblown quote accounted for?

Does this mean that there are customers out there that you would prefer not to work for, no matter how much money they are trying to throw at you? Thanks for any answers you choose to provide.

Tim

I'm not Bixler but yes, there are clients for whom I would prefer not be my clients. Remember the adage that 20% of your clients require 80% of your time and effort. Some clients simply require too much effort. Doctors, lawyers, management companies, realtors and most people from the middle East are some of the types who I will tend to ignore when they call. The last doctor I worked for called me back to his house 3 times in 3 days after I completed his job. That's 3 other sales calls I couldn't make because he was monopolizing my time without any further compensation.

Then you have management companies which can typically be put into one of two categories. The first group is awesome to work for, pays quickly without complaint but beats you down to nothing on price. The second group will agree to whatever price you quote but then gives you the runaround when it's time to pay up. Neither group will ever let you get ahead, all of them will end up wearing you out and you go home broke.

Back