How would you bid this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lesson learned I reckon...sounds like my last two stump guys were the exception to the rule.

Some of them will spread it out if they have one of those type grinders with that attachment, but that's about it.

Complete cleanup is a separate negotiation.

Stump grinding removal is to be specified. (If your doing a hedgeline for example there?s no need to remove) a big stump like that could be up to 5/6metres cube of grindings.

If you say you?re chipping the brash it is assumed you will haul away chips.

That?s the way I?ve always seen it done and done it myself.

People love wood chip mulch here, and being at the urban/ rural interface, I have a lots of people who have the woods to blow into, as it was an option yesterday, but being timber country and dealing with storm damage clean-up from big trees, chainsaws are commonplace.

www.getchipdrop.com is useful.

My first customer yesterday wanted it all put on the ground, as she was going to cut it up. She mentioned that her old 034
av was running rough. I offered to check it out. She bought it from a guy who got it from his grandpa. Was missing half the muffler.

Anyone got an 034 av muffler lying around for sale?

I specify most things. I operate mostly out of an equipment pick-up truck (8' bed full), that tows stuff, but doesn't haul chips. I need a second truck and driver to haul chips. I charge to for extra equipment and services. Simply charge them for what they want, don't charge them from what they don't want. Win-win, really. I don't drive my chip truck that often. Maybe more profitable, maybe not. Looking at my taxes, I retaining 60-65% of my gross revenue, with one payment a month for about $300.

Removal of stump grinding debris is not typically included in the price. Our contracts specifically state that we grind stumps 6"-8" below grade level and we do not haul away the excess debris. I usually mention it during the bidding process just to make sure we're all on the same page. Removal of stump grinding usually doubles the price and even then it's not a profitable service.

A good time to point out that you have to charge them for the crews' opportunity cost, and the economy of having their landscraper or teenagers clean it up.

Removal of stump grinding debris is not typically included in the price. Our contracts specifically state that we grind stumps 6"-8" below grade level and we do not haul away the excess debris. I usually mention it during the bidding process just to make sure we're all on the same page. Removal of stump grinding usually doubles the price and even then it's not a profitable service.

Grinding all day today, made good money for twiddling levers, I struggle to understand how it can’t be profitable.

Good 5cube from this stump, good job we had the lill tractor.

Attachments

• A170CDF2-ABE8-46ED-A133-1DA7A61B1515.jpg
    A170CDF2-ABE8-46ED-A133-1DA7A61B1515.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 36
  • D207EE8A-826F-46E3-98F9-120856628F84.jpg
    D207EE8A-826F-46E3-98F9-120856628F84.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 37
That was good! Like how the scenes timed with the music...good time lapse.

Looks like you pieced it all out...no felling of major leads?

How long did it take?

That was good! Like how the scenes timed with the music...good time lapse.

Looks like you pieced it all out...no felling of major leads?

How long did it take?

There were too many shrubs and ornamental trees in the way to fell most of the major leads...took me about 8 hours total, but that was with a lot of training timeouts for my groundie

Nice video. I agree with what was said earlier about it being hard to bid a picture. I also don’t know what your skill level is. A tree like that I may have dropped or lowered whole leads. I also have the means to drag out huge pieces. Years ago I may have done it different. You must have left them a lot of wood judging by the size of your chipper. With 2 guys for 8 hours and just the basics I try to get $1800, but typically it’s 3 of us with 3 trucks, chipper, dump trailer, and mini. Then the price is minimum of $3000
I feel like I’m cheap’n out On stumps. $750 seams huge to me. I don’t know that I’ve ever gone above $350 for a single stump.

Nice video. I agree with what was said earlier about it being hard to bid a picture. I also don?t know what your skill level is. A tree like that I may have dropped or lowered whole leads. I also have the means to drag out huge pieces. Years ago I may have done it different. You must have left them a lot of wood judging by the size of your chipper. With 2 guys for 8 hours and just the basics I try to get $1800, but typically it?s 3 of us with 3 trucks, chipper, dump trailer, and mini. Then the price is minimum of $3000
I feel like I?m cheap?n out On stumps. $750 seams huge to me. I don?t know that I?ve ever gone above $350 for a single stump.

I don?t have a lot of fancy rigging gear, so I only rig small pieces...portawrap, couple of blocks, a double beast/whoopi sling, and a couple of bull ropes. Skill level? Decent, I guess...I?m slow, but safe, and pretty methodical in my approach. I?m too old to be reckless haha.

That stump was about 46? where I left it, but has huge surface roots radiating out a good 20? in every direction...I think the stump guy is going to earn his $725!

The stump price seems high to me as well. I sub out my stump grinding and the most I ever paid for a single stump was $450 for a huge laurel oak with surface roots covering about 400-500 square feet.

Back