Sycamore removal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Finally got started on this job late yesterday evening.

One down one to go! And maybe an ugly pin oak that?s seen better days!
b643eba8674c30dcf9ce5bc46d9e6380.jpg

aef4ec295d553327c1bdf32c7c1a5e34.jpg

48d6e7a65ae8c5ec5624ed1d5978f697.jpg

80b176537eedf7a5f6f0c023b1aa38fc.jpg

Doing my best to make some videos and take a lot of pics along the way. I?ll post more when I get finished up

Second picture with the sun and gear is surreal...very nice.

The 3rd says that is one tall sycamore! Looks good.

All done. Now I?ve got to hunt someone down to grind the stumps. About 75? if you really get out on root flare. Also wanting the roots chased or at least severed so he can try to dig them up with excavator then backfill the whole area

7ce5d00dee7e7f1334f97751c0ef040a.jpg

20f4fd43cc5e5ede4a6efd7c03387490.jpg

1fad3466653c6159b3aa6f344ce63435.jpg

Yep lots of root! I?m looking for someone to do the stumps and chase he roots. No one seems interested. Have even mentioned the owner is willing to pay whatever it takes to get the job done.

Just curious what seems like a fair price ?
I could rent one but dang I don?t wanna fool with them, and don?t really have the schedule to do so either.

There are several but the ones interested can?t get access to them ( pull behind grinders) and the others just do not seem interested or to busy to do them I guess I donno lol

Stump's not going anywhere.

Put a price on it that makes room in your schedule. Its not rocket science. You did the hard part. Buy a respirator for $30.

Call around and see how much the biggest one that will fit back there rents for, and tell them you will get to it when you get enough lined up for a weekend of grinding. Then sell some other stumps and you are good to go. :) do not be cheap, and if you plan on renting a few times, I suggest buying your own teeth for it, because every rental I've ever used has very dull teeth.

Chasing the roots is a very good way to dull the teeth. They see more dirt/sand/stones than wood. They embed constantly abrasive grits in the fibers and slide on them. Tungsten carbide is hard but not enough to sustain this honing-like action.

I suggest you to chase the roots with the rental teeth, then switch to your own set (sharp) for the stump:/:

Thanks for the input. The only stumps I?ve ground were with a rental. And it was hell! It was a self propelled toro 26 hp maybe. I think it would?ve done better without the teeth on it.

I?ve thought about having my own set of teeth to use before. I guess you d need a box or two of nuts and washers as well. The rental I used were completely rounded off. I guess they?d never been rotated.

My brother in law helped us out one day with the removal. He is young and dying to be self employed. Thinking he is wanting to get into the grinding business. May let him price them and explain what all has to be done and see what he thinks about it .

I think the rental I got was 85 bucks a day. 150ish for a weekend. I?ve already told the homeowner I?d guess 4-500 each on the stumps. He didn?t seem surprised so who knows. May break the brother in law in and send him running back to his regular job lol.

If it has Greenteeth, buying a set will be very worthwhile. Fast and easy to change. Teeth are consumable. Pockets, not so much.
Its like using your own sharp sawchain over a dull chain for free. If you own a stump grinder, you are still paying for teeth. Rental companies don't charge for dull teeth, but they might for broken teeth.

Soil Type is very important. If you're in rich topsoil (some housing developments have 6" of top soil on top of native soil), you can grind through it without dulling teeth like glacial outwash soil with lots of river rocks (14,000 years ago, my area was bedrock under lots of ice).

I have never had a issue with root chasing blunting teeth. There’s no need to do a full sweep, just enough to get the root it self.

Chase the roots IN to the main stump, do them all, don’t be tempted to start the stump before you’ve done all the roots.

You can take a can of forestry paint and mark every root, that’ll help.

Usually with surface roots like that, once you grind them free from the stump, they are easy to wrenh out of the ground.

That’s a recipe for a wrenched back!

If have a stump grinder, grind it, don’t get all medieval with picks and spades.

Usually with surface roots like that, once you grind them free from the stump, they are easy to wrenh out of the ground.

That?s kinda what the owner was thinking. Myself as well. He owns a construction company with all kinds of little excavators etc.

I was telling him the cheapest route would probably be to grind the stump and get the roots severed and his guys take over the rest .

It?s all going to have some construction/excavating work done anyway. He is planning on getting rid of the wood fences and going back with stone/brick around his property

Pretty smart guy....of the few to get the trees gone before he builds his nice new fence

Not all that much back strain going on there. They've already been busted and cut loose, just yank em out. No tools needed, maybe a shovel to cut something still attached.

Back