Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: grinding chipper knives

Well I probably should have done this before but I just searched Google for sharpening services near me. Found this place and sent an inquiry about prices for sharpening my chipper knives.
    http://bowenssharpening.com/

Still want to do my own, even if I just send them out every so often to get them straightened out and perfect again. My little Morbark does a great job but there is a huge difference in performance when the knives are not sharp.
    -Brian

We don't sharpen the chipper knives but the chain saw chains are sharpened every morning.

Bermy, we have to drive to tim buck two as well, no one on this island does it.
    I am umbilically connected to the temperate zone, it brought me life, it brought me love I never have out grown.

I send mine to a place in Melbourne, Victoria not Florida. Buy them there as well, good quality and prices.

Rayco here have a sharpening service that's pretty cheap, but it's not called Rayco anymore. https://globalmachinerysales.com.au/service-parts/

Thought about doing my own sharpening once, that mob I bought the stump tooth grinder off has a setup but it's pretty expensive and I still haven't used what I bought yet after buying a bulk lot of teeth. Thorvie chipper knife sharpener : https://www.thorvie.com/product/av-5...knife-grinder/

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Sharpening your own chipper blades w/o the proper machine is a fool's errand.

Hair CLIPPER not chipper, but does work for human or animal clippers.

Bandit, IIRC, sells a back-bevel machine that might be worth investigating. I think Merle knows something about it.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Hahahahahaaa!

Sean, couldn't find anything on the Bandit grinder. Only thing I found was a video showing Bandit's in house grinding service.

Also found a few videos on youtube showing variations on my hand held disc sander method and an overpriced Dremel type setup called 'Bevel Buddy'.
    -Brian

http://www.morbark.com/wp-content/up...ochure-web.pdf

Lists bandit 200 or 250, so its not just giant whole tree chippers.

3 times of touch-ups between grinding.

I just use a hand-held accusharp one, periodically, like a chainsaw, before it is noticeably dull. Keep it sharp more than get it sharp.
    I guess I change blades every 6-8 months, chipping less than the average full-time tree company. Fair bit of pruning, and occasional Put On Ground Only.

Whatever the timeframe, its under $15 well spent. I've considered some woven metal, safety gloves like some butchers use. Usually just leather gloves, and pinch the handle between finger tips and thumb, keeping my fingers farther back. I sharpen through the feed tray, so its a little awkward. Only a little.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Yes, I have the accusharp deal but my issue is that on my drum chipper I can only use it a few times and then it changes the bevel enough that the brush bounces off the face of the blade instead of catching the edge. Then it won't feed into the chipper and everything becomes a major ordeal to get it to chip. This is why I quit using the accusharp and just use the flap disc on my grinder. I need to hit the entire edge, not just the last 1/16".

And the Bevel Buddy you linked is an overpriced Dremel. It's only $50 less than the Neary blade grinder and won't do as good of a job. It's basically a powered Accusharp tool.
    -Brian

Weird how it bounces.

How big is your drum?
    Guessing mine is 12-16" with a 9 inch tall "throat".