Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: grinding chipper knives

Default grinding chipper knives

About 35 years ago when I had my lawn business I bought a Neary blade grinder to sharpen lawnmower blades. Very nice grinder with the ability to set the angle, etc. Looked like this. Sold it with the lawn business when I was 25.

Now I'm thinking about sharpening chipper knives. On my chipper the little hand held touchup deal works about 5-6 times and then it changes the angle enough that the brush no longer feeds. I've given up using it and now use a 60 grit flap wheel on a 4.5" offset grinder. This works better but it is hard to maintain the correct angle. The Neary would make that much easier.

Anybody here sharpen their own chipper knives? Here's the current version of the Neary grinder and the best price I found.
    https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/N...tor-P1022.aspx
    They have a 1hp version for about $150 more.
    -Brian

Let me know if it's worth doing , I ship mine out to Morbark when dull.

TreeHouser Sponsor

Chipper knives are sharpened at low speed/RPM and with cooling lubricant/grinding removal most of the time.

sharpening services sometimes pick up/ drop off at hardware stores.

$1/ inch or less.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I've never known a soul who sharpened their blades themselves.

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Geez you guys get a good deal for sharpening prices.
    One set costs me $64AUD to get sharpened...and I have to drive 120km round trip to drop them off.
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Well my knives are 10.5" wide, have two cutting edges and there are four of them per set. So 8 cutting edges times 10.5" is 84" or $84 at a dollar per inch.

However, my opinion on sharpening chipper knives is sort of like my opinion on sharpening chainsaw chains. I don't want to run them until they are too dull to work any more and then pay somebody to sharpen them. I'd prefer pulling them off and sharpening them myself every couple weeks. It would only take an hour or less, hardly longer than the time it takes to swap or flip the knives anyway.

No, I'm not going to get a perfect machined edge measured to within 1/1000 of an inch between all four knives. But on my chipper the angle of the knives means that it would take a huge difference in knife length to create a measurable difference in the cutter gap. I can get it close enough to maintain proper gap all the way across the knife and between the four knives.

At $100 per whack getting knives sharpened and doing it 3 times per year, it would take 2 years for the grinder to pay for itself. I think that is an awesome return on investment and as a side benefit I'll be able to do my mower blades as well. Heck, I might even sharpen some chipper knives for friends if I get good enough at it.
    -Brian

Keeping them all the same size is important. If you?re gonna do it yourself, make up a jig that holds them all at once, using the bolt holes to center them. Best to mark A and B sides if they?re double edged. That?s all I got for ya as I rotate between 3 sets and when they?re down to the last sharpening I buy three more sets. At work our bc2100?s rotate 6 sets each and luckily they?re identical. The crew that does the most land clearing will sometimes flip blades after a day depending on conditions and equipment operators. Most of their material is drug out with a skidder so mud is gonna dull things up quick
    Forgot to add that the at work blades and my personal knives go to the same local shop. Wish I knew the price but I don?t do that part
    -Rich

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Oops...serves me right for not doing the math deserved smackdown...I'm getting up now.
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Im a jerk, i just buy new sets and chuck em when dull. I was saving them for sharpening then said screw this im not changing the anvil. They are a consumable, but i really should rotate three sets or something.
    trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them -unknown