Bandit 90 chipper

Little chipper is out in the yard in freezing temps and howling winds at the moment, probably wondering what the hell happened to sunny FLA!!

The chipper is probably like 'fook this fooking chit'

Dry gas is my goto in cold weather. Driving through a snow storm means the chipper was covered with salty slush. Hose it off, make sure there is no water in fuel tank, and WD40 the ignition bits to dry them out.

Do you have a good spark? If you have good spark, good fuel, and compression, it has to run. My bet would be spark issues first.

So we have another problem with the 90xp chipper that I'm hoping others may know about.

Chipper runs fine, but after about 2 mins of work, it starts sputtering and back firing and idling down like it wants to shut off. So far we changed the choke and wiring assembly to make sure that its getting full power, changed plugs and all filters.

Any thoughts? Carb or points maybe?

Very frustrating as its been one thing after another with this chipper.

Try compressed air back through the fuel line beginning with the filter, gas cap off.
Also may be ICM bad

Mine just quit working the other day too... would turn over but wouldn't fire...every now and then would cough like it wanted to fire but back to RRR..rrr...rrr

Turns out the wires on the emergency stop button had broken with all the vibration! One was completely broken, the other holding on by a hair...it would probably make momentary contact which gave the 'cough' but then wobble free. Second time in two years it's happened. Inspecting the wires on the stop button is now in the maintenance shedule!!

So, check your emergency shut off...

Maybe the float valve is stuck open? I don't know if that would cause too much fuel into the engine or not.

Maybe it needs new rings, compression could be bad when hot.

how is your fuel pressure?

Maybe there is a fuel rail with a valve...big box parts stores have loaner pressure tester tools. Screw right on and check it.

If it’s using a carburetor (petrol) does it have have fuel pressure in that sense? (Apart from off thé pump)

Aren’t you thinking of diesel Sean?

Agreed, but if it's carbureted it will likely suck the available fuel out of the bowl and then stumble because it's not filling fast enough. I would pull the carb, blow it out, probably even pull the jets out and shoot them clear with cleaner. If it's still acting the same i would run it and then pull the drain plug in the carb and see how slow fuel is filling, which would confirm or deny that the needle valve port that fills the bottom half isn't flowing properly. At that point a rebuild would be next, a carb rebuild should be one of the easiest jobs on a machine. If it runs longer but not quite fully up to par,i would run seafoam (or just camp stove fuel and isopropyl alcohol) through it to finish the cleaning, and run the piss out of it.

If it's not flowing and it's not the carb jet, i would go upstream and wonder about filters and tanks. Depending on the carb, I've come to the conclusion that the old school glass strainer is the way to go, because you can inspect, clean, and drain water for free without a trip to the parts store. With one you can readily see if tank residue is clogging your screen, if the tank drain itself is clogged, or just cumulative crap has plugged your screen. It will also separate water. Just clean and you are done. I would also check the air filter, with a plugged filter it will not run properly and possibly suck fuel because it's clogged (basically choking the engine) leading to stumbling and the like.

Back