Rope to chain, three strand, crown?

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I think ive done it inthe past, but the first turn aroune the chain, or carabiner in this case. Can you do a crown, then proceed to splice? Instead of doing one strand on way thru, and the other two strands the opposite?

I would think no because then you would have one strands turn un captured. If I am envisioning it right.

the real question is what is da mad scientist constructing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im familiar with the samson instructions, that's the way i dont want to do it. I dont care for how the strands are just there, by themselves individually. Im gonna hafta try with the crown. Im prettttyy sure ive done it but i threw away old scraps.. Ive ran across a couple people in the boat world mentioning it, but figured maybe nick would see this or someone.

Perhaps this is the method you're thinking of, I got it from Brion Toss's video.

Attachments

• IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 46
I had a hard time getting the picture in the right orientation I forgot the description.

Start with two strands in front and one in back.
The first strand,red,front right, goes back through carabiner, leaving a small bight raised for later.
Next, the one in back, blue, comes from the back forward to the left of strand one.
Last, the green strand goes under the raised red strand and back through the carabiner. Now tuck the strands as usual.

This method has the three strands crossing each other on top of the carabiner, instead of side by side.

In time boss, we just gotta keep on keeping on. There are many lurkers that will eventually join up, looking back I'm sad I waited so long.

I activate new registrations every day, sometimes several. Only about one in 25 ever post and about one in fifty actually stick around.

Participating at a forum is a big investment in time, people has to play with his "priorities".
On an other hand, I can see how it's intimidating to intervene when the members have a high level of skill, experience and knowledge. I was in this mood at the beginning.

I have participated in multiple forums since the first day I found them. I was the first to hit 10,000 posts at AS over ten years ago, and that was my first forum. Here I routinely reset my post count to zero just so I won't look insane.

But that's just me.

Attachments

• holy hardhat2 (Small).jpg
    holy hardhat2 (Small).jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just an observstion, as I myself limit my forum participation. But for new potential subscribers, even this morning my unread posts only show 25% of them actually related to the tree industry. Maybe more people wanna talk about climbing do-dads and chainsaws on a crane so they can grow their belly.

So they can talk about it! I'm not stopping them!

Remember, this place started and is STILL a treeworkers LOUNGE.

We can talk shop or we can talk shit - that's the beauty.

You don't HAVE to stick with tree-talk!

VWyRECL.gif

Participating at a forum is a big investment in time, people has to play with his "priorities".
On an other hand, I can see how it's intimidating to intervene when the members have a high level of skill, experience and knowledge. I was in this mood at the beginning.

Its like being the new kid at school.

I bet its confusing to a lot of people. There are people who have known each other for a long time here. Inside jokes. Knowing someone is a 'she' or English/ Danish/ etc or Rep/Dem adds a lot of info to the responses. Three discussions happening in one thread, concurrently, has been known to happen. Without heavy use of quotes and addressing people by screenname consistently can make discussions difficult to track.

Some people's subtle and concise responses can be chocked full of meaning. A "nice fell" from Gerry could mean a lot more than an over-the-top compliment from someone newer. Getting a subtle nod for innovation from some of our creative minds is like a big pat on the back, that could go unnoticed.

I think a lot of the Elder's threads don't even need to be in the Elder's forum, and that sucks.

Potential Elders can't even see them and to them the forums looks less active and hopping.

Back