Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Underwater logging

Very cool.

How was visibility?
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Amazingly good...the Chattahoochee here around Atlanta is abysmal visibility...zero. Down there, as long as you didn't silt things up, it was several feet.

Here are some underwater shots I took that show visibility, some wedges I had to drive to keep their boards from sliding when they poured the concrete, gaps and sandbags filling gaps, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails underwater stills resized_001.jpg   underwater stills resized_002.jpg   underwater stills resized_003.jpg   underwater stills resized_004.jpg  

underwater stills resized_007.jpg   underwater stills resized_009.jpg  
    Gary

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Default Looks like fun!

I bet it pays a couple dollars over minimum wage, eh!

Ha! some of the best money I have made. The clock ran from the time we left the team leader's house until we got back. About 2 hours drive to the dive site, work approx 8 hours, sleep on the way back.

The jobs since then have been smaller...check out an underwater valve in a pond (a couple of those)...the other two guys have done some dock repairs, small jobs. Majority of diving I do now is for the dive team...looking for weapons, sunken cars, drowning victims. No visibility for those jobs, all dark, silty water...no money either...but that's OK...we do get a T-shirt!!
    Gary

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Tell me about the money. I worked a few hitches ferrying a team of divers around the gulf.

The had some cool stories.

Interesting thread. I got into Arb work after working in commercial diving for about 8yrs, cool to see someone having a similar experience. Did you get into the diving work through recreational diving or was commercial diving something you'd done in the past Gary?

Started recreational diving in the 70's. Had kids in the 80's...diving went bye-bye. Started diving again approx. 2009 with county Dive Team....search, rescue, recovery. That led to comm. diving for a few years.

Still do the Dive Team....comm. diving is sporadic.
    Gary

Is the Dive Team a volunteer service? Sounds interesting, that sort of thing is done by the Police service here. I knew an old police diver years ago, had some stories of some of the searches he'd done. Worst one I can remember was about going down a pipe, either sewer or a culvert-can't remember, that got tighter and tighter until he was inching in by wriggling his shoulders. Think it was looking for a gun.

Yes..volunteer. We are under the local EMA (Emergency Management Agency) director. He takes requests for our services from law enforcement, fire, etc., determines if we have the resources to help.

There are pictures here of some of what we have done...pretty good sampling of what we get into:

https://garylayton.smugmug.com/Dive-...h-and-Recovery

and here's an inspection we did of a coffer dam setup in a river project...they hired us to sandbag it so they could pump concrete in to shore up the 150 year old bridge bents.

embed is not working....try this:

https://youtu.be/pnC627Pw81M
    Gary

Kyle