Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well I Hope I Don't Do THAT Again!!!

I've had some miraculous gear recovery stories. I've lost the same impact block twice and recovered it both times. Once it got left way up in the woods when we were using it as a redirect. A week went by before I realized it was missing. It took a couple of days for me to remember where it was because a week is an eternity when it comes to my memory! The other time I lost the block we were rigging down some trees next to a house and a dozer was going to come in and clean up afterwards. Since we knew a dozer was coming in, we left the jobsite in a state of disaster with limbs piled up everywhere. I guess the block got left somewhere in the chaos. Weeks later and I'm about to buy a new block when my brother swings by out of the blue and drops off the missing block and sling. Apparently the dozer operator found the block and got it to my brother. My brother then promptly forgot about it and waited a few weeks to let me know he had it all along.

That's a miracle an operator got out of the cab for something...
    Kyle

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

That is a rarity!!!

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

I once lost an entire rigging bag, 200' of 9/16 stable braid, some one ton slings and an arborist block. Fell out of the bucket truck basket on the way to the dump. Searched high and low for it went on the local talk show to post a lost and found...never found it. BUT the property manager of my Mr. Moneybags client heard me on the radio, called me and that's how I got the job working there. Silver lining.
    PS Brian (sqwerl) heard the story and sent me a spare block and sling...still using it!
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Great story...cool on Brian.
    Gary

Very cool! And a bummer about losing stuff off the truck!

Unfortunately I could share dozens of these stories, mostly small stuff. I'll throw out a few of the hits. They weren't all me but they all happened where I was working at the time.

Lately:

We've been having a hell of a time with our batteries and charger since we got the husky top handle battery saw. We've been back to pick up those buggers a few times in the last month.

My coffee cup doesn't even get lost, it's more like I work to hide it. As if a part of my subconscious mind is playing a fun game of hide the coffee cup. I work with my brother and he finds it in the weirdest places, saves me from having to buy a new one every week or going to paper cups.

Some time ago:

A couple of guys, including the head foreman, put a bunch of gear in the chip tray to travel between jobs. The gecko climbers rattled around behind or between the feed wheels and got eaten by the chipper when they fired it up at the last job. They didn't even notice, later it occurred to them what might have happened. They dug around in the chip box, found chunks of em (which made pretty good decorations in the office for awhile) and replaced the knives on the chipper.

The 395xp didn't fit in the box because the bar was too long so instead of braking it down some fellas put in the back of the chip truck and then dumped it. That was missing for a few weeks, eventually somebody realized what had happened and dug em out with a bob cat.

I had just started with a new outfit, they had a pretty rough fleet. Every time I drove a new vehicle or used a new piece of gear there were at least a few little quirks and tricks to keep it running right or whatever. Well there was a box on one of the trucks that would shut but inevitably rattle loose and fly open on the road unless you locked it. I didn't get that pro tip from the guys. I loaded up the GRCS and went out to do some tree work when suddenly I heard the door pop open and watched the winch go bouncing down the road at about 40 mph. Amazingly it was nearly unharmed, a plastic component on the crown of the winch broke but that was it.

I once made a nice little ring and ring out of some shiny new DMM green rings and that red OP cord. I sweated over those splices and man it looked good! Took it to the park on Sunday to climb on it right after I finished it. I had my boy with me, that led to me getting distracted and I left it laying there. It was gone later in the day when I returned. The second one went together much faster and looked better but I got little enjoyment out of making it.

about 10 years ago I had just completed a sub contracting job and was paid 500 dollars cash. I stopped by the hardware store on the way home and bought an arm load of supplies. while loading up my car I put my wallet on the roof and drove off. super depressing. two full years later I get a letter from the police department and they said thst found my wallet while cleaning out a drawer. lo and behold the 500 dollars was still in there. I bought a plane ticket and took a little vacation.

I did the wallet thing, too. I hauled ass to retrace my route and lo and behold! It was a couple miles down the street on the side of the road, sitting like a teepee. I couldn't BELIEVE it was still there and untouched! I was a lucky bastardo that day!

Similar story, my parents had just gotten the families first cell phone, and they had me take it as I was running errands for them. Put it on the dash of the truck, and then while making a turn it slid out the window. I pulled over, ran back to get it, and just as I got there I watched it get smoked by a semi lol. They had one of those flexible cloth holders for it, which contained all of the pieces more or less, so I handed that to dad when I got back home and he couldn't help but to laugh.

One of his co-workers did an awesome prank on him once. He was a teacher, and one day finally broke down and got a laptop. It was pricey, and he completely babied it. So his buddy at work asked to borrow it, and he very reluctantly agreed. They had found a broken one, same model and everything, so they smashed it and put it in a box. A few hours later they brought the box to him and just said sorry don't know what happened lol. He let him stress over it all night too haahahaha
    Kyle