Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Off to camp/hike southern Nevada and Arizona

Great pics Burnham! Love those petrified trees and all that cactus... I've been threatening to go visit an old friend down in Arizona this winter but I haven't done it yet. It would be cool to see all that in person.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by stig View Post
    Don't you mean Curve billed Thrasher
    Never heard of the other.

Sounds like you guys did good on the birds.
    Was it too early for anything but the Ocotilla to be blooming.

I think I'll show Margot Saguaro NP next time we go , she loves Cacti.
    You are of course correct, my friend. Thrasher, not thrush. My mistake, just not paying proper attention to my own typing . And also correct...ocotillo just beginning, in a few warm and wet washes some chuparosa, and here and there some brittlebush.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Next pics will be from Organ Pipe NP. Beautiful place, and a really weird vibe...right on the border, and a major trafficking route for drugs and humans. I'll get to those pictures soon.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Great pics, thanks for posting.

Petrified forest is astonishing.
    Iím condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Ahhh, the TreeHouse Travelogue...thanks so much for the pictures Burnham
    Happy smiles on both faces

PS, that pic of the lone tree in the canyon...D'ya think Jim got there before you?
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnham View Post
    You are of course correct, my friend. Thrasher, not thrush. My mistake, just not paying proper attention to my own typing . And also correct...ocotillo just beginning, in a few warm and wet washes some chuparosa, and here and there some brittlebrush.

Looks like Autocorrect changed auto correct to also correct.

Auto correct...my worst enema.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
    Ahhh, the TreeHouse Travelogue...thanks so much for the pictures Burnham
    Happy smiles on both faces

PS, that pic of the lone tree in the canyon...D'ya think Jim got there before you?
    That's a fun picture of a cool tree, for sure. A Ponderosa pine, usually they are only found at much higher elevations down there...but that is the north facing side of Ice Box Canyon . I'd guess it was something less that 100', but so much bigger than anything else around, and way up there on a bench in the middle of those 750' tall cliffs.

Organ Pipe NP...only 2 miles from the border with Mexico. Lots of Border Patrol activity, checkpoints, many cameras and other detection devices, and frequent warnings posted. A big fence, 18 feet tall, which doesn't seem to do much to deter illegal crossings if what we were told by locals is true. We never felt unsafe, but then we stuck to designated trails and scenic auto routes for the most part...the same sorts of places the cartel scouts and drug mules avoid.

Very interesting conversations with Park personnel. The social dynamic down there close to the border is complex, to say the least.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arizona 2018 577.jpg   Arizona 2018 596.jpg   Arizona 2018 598.jpg   Arizona 2018 602.jpg  

Arizona 2018 606.jpg   Arizona 2018 619.jpg   Arizona 2018 621.jpg   Arizona 2018 623.jpg  

Arizona 2018 639.jpg   Arizona 2018 644.jpg   Arizona 2018 650.jpg   Arizona 2018 659.jpg  

Arizona 2018 675.jpg   Arizona 2018 750.jpg   Arizona 2018 751.jpg   Arizona 2018 792.jpg  

Arizona 2018 793.jpg  

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Odd how they couldn't keep the fence straight.

It's the same thing with how they can't keep roads straight, from your experience as a flatlander, Butch. It's much less work to follow the contours of the land than bulldoze, cut and fill, to get straight lines. Especially if you're trying to make it hard to get under or over the fence.