Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QTRA course...

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Default QTRA course...

Just did the QTRA (Qualitative Tree Risk Assessment ) course over the last two days...anybody else done it?

It's going to take me a while to absorb it all...certainly give you a new perspective to assessing and quantifying the risk of harm...when the outcomes result in risk of harm as 1/100,000 up to 1/1,000,000 (of a chance of one person dying in one year from the perceived risk)...is there really any need to do anything at all?
    I very much enjoyed the recap and walkabout looking at 'body language of trees' again
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Congrats on that! We have a Tree Risk Assessment Qualification(TRAQ) offered by ISA. It's over $600 and I'm not sure the cost is justified. I've long suspected that the ISA is more of a revenue generating machine rather than a training institution.
    "The mind is the limiting factor." ~Robin Brown, aka Brownie

Thats the common complaint, my own as well. Fair amount of dough to learn how to fill in a form and use their matrices. Good book to own as a resource though.
    JD Ohio BCMA

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Those are some interesting ratios.

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

TRAQ was mentioned and is seen as a more risk based approach...hey, any kind of mechanism to give people a better idea about how much ACTUAL risk they face from trees is good.
    Counter move to 'Arborphobia' that kicks in any time a twig bounces off a car...
    It was expensive, but at least its tax deductable. There will be an annual licence fee, If I pass the test which is sent to you a few days after the course.
    Walking about one of the parks in Hobart, carrying out the system was very interesting, not only for a chance to check out some nice trees, but a few years ago a micro-burst went through there and mashed up a lot of the trees, some of them must be 100 years or more.
    It was heartening to see and hear (quite a few of the guys were from the City Council tree unit) how they tidied up the trees, repaired some with bolts and bracing and put others on shorter inspection timeframes...and nothing got cut down. There was even a medium sized beech with Ganoderma, a branch failed two weeks ago, and still, because the risk of it actually hitting anyone or anything is SO low...it remains.
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Add mycophobia to the list as well.
    JD Ohio BCMA

Quote Originally Posted by Bermy View Post

It's going to take me a while to absorb it all...certainly give you a new perspective to assessing and quantifying the risk of harm...when the outcomes result in risk of harm as 1/100,000 up to 1/1,000,000 (of a chance of one person dying in one year from the perceived risk)...is there really any need to do anything at all?
    One firefighter I met saw three tree- related civilian deaths in two years.

One was the 8 Y. O. Birthday girl, in front of the family and party guests, playing outside in a windy day.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

It's amazing how, for the most part, most people are unaware of what is overhead.

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

It is good to take a course like that for the simple reason that it makes you think differently.
    Besides, you never know what it can lead to.

I've started doing a lot of risk tree assesment for the local State forest.

I find it wastly interesting to diagnose those trees and they pay me good money to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post
    One firefighter I met saw three tree- related civilian deaths in two years.

One was the 8 Y. O. Birthday girl, in front of the family and party guests, playing outside in a windy day.
    Yup, the chances might be one in a million but if you are the one...
    "The mind is the limiting factor." ~Robin Brown, aka Brownie