Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QTRA course...

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pete mctree View Post
    I have read a lot about QTRA over the years & it only has one feature that I like & that it makes any decision you make legally defensible. No bad thing, but I feel it does limit personal opinion in it's application- I am on the fence about it to be honest.
    Yeah, I can understand that. I'm not totally sold just yet.
    The section dealing with Probability of Failure is the area where personal knowledge of the trees you deal with comes into it, your understanding of how they grow, how they fail, what defects they can manage, how they respond to pruning, how different decay organisms affect it, local knowledge of wind and weather...that's where the more subjective input is.
    I'm still absorbing it all, and I think it has different levels of application in different circumstances. But it is certainly giving me a new way of looking at tree defects and how to deal with them in relation to actual risk of harm.
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

I just signed up for the TRAQ course. With hurricane season approaching, we get a lot of "panic" calls from frightened homeowners wanting to know if their trees are ok. This qualification will give me more knowledge and credibility to provide risk assessments with confidence. Besides, it'll be nice to take 3 days off in the middle of July!
    "The mind is the limiting factor." ~Robin Brown, aka Brownie

I'm planning on this... the classes are rare and spread across the west coast... but I believe it's a good class too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wonder how similar the two courses are?

It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
    Wonder how similar the two courses are?
    Not too similar. QTRA is more quantified, UK based, guided by HSE thresholds. TRAQ is pretty much US based, and it's mainly about CYA

Both need supplemental experience and training on inspection to transcend their defect-based, defensive modes, and yield defendable opinions.
    Trees connect Earth, and mankind, to the heavens.
    For health, symbiotic associates are assisted. For structure, pests like decay are resisted.
    Trees coexist with people and fungi, inexorably and indefinitely, instilling immortality. www.historictreecare.com

Thanks Guy.

TreeHouser Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bodean View Post
    I'm planning on this... the classes are rare and spread across the west coast... but I believe it's a good class too.

Deva did you see the tree failure based two day class coming to Redwood City? Looked like it might be pretty good info.

Nab. I'm just looking for traq... cert...

It's pretty weird to me.... based on probability of failure... maybe, maybe kinda.. more likely maybe potentially hopefully not...

I really like the TRACE and 1-12 system... even if ordinal and nominal numbers don't mix.

Not only do they not mix, the numbers don't compute either.

I've read a lot of TRAQ reports that were really not defendable.
    Trees connect Earth, and mankind, to the heavens.
    For health, symbiotic associates are assisted. For structure, pests like decay are resisted.
    Trees coexist with people and fungi, inexorably and indefinitely, instilling immortality. www.historictreecare.com

TRAQ...sounds like hemming and hawing to me.

I like to hear about objective numbers quantifying variables that pertain to health and stability...leading to an informed objective decision based on fact and reason...

That's just me though.