All Gear Blue Craze

Xtian

Treehouser
Hello, I am new here and recently got into splicing. It has since taken over all my free time!

The cover in my tight eye bunched up. This is my first attempt at this rope, I have done other double braids that have turned out well. Any wisdom on why the cover bunched? It did not start until late in the final bury, I did put a few stitches of whipping twine in the crossover before hand.

Thanks

78465ce8f4d72b8972ae67a900d0caba.jpg
f4e13cb9a0199b0134e0637294e8f4eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the house. :) did you milk the cover over or use tension to set it? If you attempt to milk the cover too much, without setting it with tension, the cover can bunch up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My name is Christian, thanks for the warm welcome.

I did set it with tension, as best I could. This rope has a second inner core, when I was thinking back I could have let things get sloppy dealing with tapering and burying that second core. I am going to give it another go tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you let the cross over get a little loose before the final burry?
Who's splicing instructions did you follow? i.e. Samson, New England.....

Flushcut, hello.

I do believe I let the crossover get sloppy. I used New England instructions for tachyon.

Christian, if you need any avatar help just post the pic and I'll take care of it.

Now I understand your username!

Welcome!

Anchor the rope to a good overhead anchor point, get in your saddle and bounce on the eye. Oh, remove any whipping...

So I cut the other splice with the bunched cover off and tried again. I got a better splice. Tension, tension, tension is what I learned here.

Thanks all.

90007de603f8ac07a930ae05a42c16d9.jpg

You can also cheat and add a couple quick stiches at the crossover. You can get an old, preferably steel carbiner, get a small loop and girth it on a sledge by the head, and a couple bounces will set tight braided stuff easy. And before you call me crazy, Brion Toss says to do that in the riggers apprentice. :) nice looking splice there btw :rockon:

Back